!!

Welcome to Two Track Music

Guest/Visitor, welcome to the Two Track Music forum area.  If you're not yet a member here, just click the Register link above to sign up.  It's free, quick, and relatively easy.

Once registered, you will be able to post anywhere in the forums, create topics, ask questions, show off your music, and collaborate with other members to create a new song or musical piece.

You will also be able to view post attachments, which are usually songs in progress or completed songs.  And, you'll have access to our TTM Articles section, which contains a variety of articles on software, hardware, mixing, mastering, and many other topics.  The forum Search option will also be available to you once registered.

Two Track Music is a somewhat 'laid back' community.  Just some good musicians and song writers hanging out, and having a good time.  We're not a high pressure or fast paced site, we just enjoy kicking back and making some music, and having fun while we're doing it.

If that sounds like your kind of place, please join us.  We'd love to have you in the mix.  And yes, pun intended... ;)

Additional Menu

TTM Shoutbox

Last 15 Shouts:

agradeleous

Yesterday at 12:42:45 PM
Hump day

onetrack

January 20, 2020, 09:43:47 PM
Jes Combobob. Talk about make us feel old. I was watching a Christopher Ecclestone old doctor who and the mobiles in 2005 seemed prehistoric. Times change. For better and worse.

agradeleous

January 17, 2020, 08:33:19 PM
You did ? Who are you again ? Lmao
😂

combobob

January 17, 2020, 07:46:37 PM
Happy 15th TTM. I remember the first song I recorded fot the Kristal Challenge in 2005. It had bass and vocals and I uploaded it on the old dial-up. How things have changed...I have learned so much from you all and made many friends here.  :)

Joom

January 17, 2020, 05:11:59 PM
I think I forgot to mention that kids and grandkids came today for the weekend, so I won't be online much...

Joom

January 17, 2020, 10:12:51 AM
Email back at ya, Ag...

agradeleous

January 17, 2020, 08:52:20 AM
Joom, email coming your way sir.

Run-A-Wayyyyyy ! Lol

agradeleous

January 17, 2020, 08:14:35 AM
A bit late but Happy 15th Brithday TTM.
Though I've been slack I'm still here when I can remember my password . Lol
To Joom and everyone here . I couldn't of gotten to where I'am without you wherever that is . Lol Thank you guys ttm will always be my home . 😊🤗

Joom

January 16, 2020, 07:50:25 PM
Glad you were able to find the place useful, Red.  And hopefully made some friends while here...

RedJoker

January 16, 2020, 05:49:11 PM
15 years is fantastic!  I first picked up a guitar 6 years ago and joined TTM about 4 years ago.  I've grown so much thanks to the help of all the fine folks here!  THANK YOU!!!

Joom

January 16, 2020, 09:29:15 AM
Thanks, Dino, been great to have you on board all this time...  ;)

Dino

January 16, 2020, 03:32:32 AM
 8) ;) ;D
Happy Birthday TTM and best wishes to all who sail in her.

Joom

January 16, 2020, 02:05:46 AM
You bet, GC.  And thanks for being a great member, and a greater friend...

gc

January 16, 2020, 01:39:24 AM
Happy 15th TTM.  Thanks for being a gracious host, JOOM.  Thanks for everything.

neilmac

January 15, 2020, 11:59:05 PM
15 years? Be eligible for parole soon :P

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2020, 03:42:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Song/sound Files  (Read 307 times)

Offline DJKTRox

• K-2
  • Producer
  • I'm the reggae and ska maker :)
    • View Profile
    • KT - My Website
Song/sound Files
« on: November 16, 2019, 06:53:26 PM »
Hey everyone,

So I have quite a lot of loops and sounds I've downloaded to use in my tracks, but a lot of them I wont use again, so would I be able to delete the file from the download folder of my computer without it affecting the track I have used it in? I don't want to end up with a bunch of songs I cant edit in Reaper because I deleted the files lol (I hope that makes sense) Thank you in advance for your help!
"I can take all the madness the world has to give, but I won't last a day without you..."
www.facebook.com/DJKTRox    twitter : @DJKTRox
www.soundcloud.com/DJKTRox

Offline rkennett

• Original
  • Bang your head!
    • View Profile
Re: Song/sound Files
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 03:59:00 PM »
For recording, it moves the file to the project directory.  If you right-click on loop/sample in the timeline and look at source properties, you will see where file is located that the project is using.  If it's pointing to your downloads folder, then you need to keep it there for the project to see it.

Offline agradeleous

• My stuffs
  • Original
  • Producer
  • Just hangin' here at TTM Upside Down
    • View Profile
    • Ags YouTube
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 05:44:16 PM »
I might be getting this wrong but if you all ready recorded
a track with the loop or whatever and the track is saved wouldn't it be a done deal ? 

Offline DJKTRox

• K-2
  • Producer
    • View Profile
    • KT - My Website
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 07:11:31 PM »
For recording, it moves the file to the project directory.  If you right-click on loop/sample in the timeline and look at source properties, you will see where file is located that the project is using.  If it's pointing to your downloads folder, then you need to keep it there for the project to see it.

Excellent, yes that makes sense as I deleted a couple of files and have lost a few tracks from some of my songs when I open them up in reaper.

I might be getting this wrong but if you all ready recorded
a track with the loop or whatever and the track is saved wouldn't it be a done deal ? 

Itd be fine to delete them if I knew I didnt want to go back in and play about with them again in Reaper, like if I had completely finished it and published it, but I have a lot of songs I want to go back and re-record later on, so now know I need to keep the files for any songs that I may want to re-record/re-master :)
"I can take all the madness the world has to give, but I won't last a day without you..."

Offline combobob

• Original
  • Over 50
    • View Profile
    • combobob.com
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 07:18:04 PM »
If you really want to tidy things up you might consider moving them out of your downloads folder and into a seperate projects folder. You will then have to redirect where reaper is looking for them but at least they won't be at risk of being 'accidentally' deleted.
I am always clearing out my downloads folder. I get a bit ocd when it comes to file management  ;D
Win 7, SB Audigy 2 Platinum, KX3551, Studio One 2, 1975 Fender Jazz, Yamaha RBX270J Custom Fretless, Tanglewood TW170

Offline DJKTRox

• K-2
  • Producer
    • View Profile
    • KT - My Website
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 06:00:18 PM »
I wish I had been a bit more OCD now  :o ;D

Offline neilmac

• Original
  • Producer
  • What?
    • View Profile
    • Album for sale!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 08:04:52 PM »
lmao I know that feeling :D
"If it looks good, you'll see it.If it sounds good you'll hear it. If it's marketed right you'll buy it. But if it's real, you'll feel it"

Offline DJKTRox

• K-2
  • Producer
    • View Profile
    • KT - My Website
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 06:59:07 PM »
I was considering getting a new computer, but the thought of having to sort through it all drives me nuts so I'm going to just upgrade this one a bit lol I'm planning on going through all the files and having a clearout, just such a boring task its an easy one to put off  ;D

Offline Dino

• Original
  • Producer
  • Just hangin' here at TTM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 02:56:17 AM »
As Combobob said above.

Every Project should have its own folder name

Every song I have ever recorded (apart from earlier learning times) has its own folder including all the mixdowns, test mixes etc.

I always start with a blank Project (in Reaper) and once I have decided its worth keeping, I use the "Save Project to New Folder" or what ever that option is.  Neat and tidy.

Offline onetrack

• Original
  • Producer
  • Ex-KAE and TTM member since 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 02:16:04 PM »
I’ve got songs on two different hard drives, some in cloud, some on iPad. Some project folder names bear no relation to the song name as I quite often change the title upon upload. I have many project folders duplicated or inside another project (for no apparent reason). Stems are all in different folders. There is no method to my file management. I just dump it quick so I can say I’ve backed it up and move onto something new.

It would take me about 3 months to structure it all logically.

Complete PITA!!!!🤪

Offline DJKTRox

• K-2
  • Producer
    • View Profile
    • KT - My Website
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 06:38:38 PM »
I know! Im also thinking of making some upgrades to the PC as well (better RAM etc) so would need to have a good back up session anyway for that...just putting it off lol

Offline whitestrat73

• Still the right side of the grass! :P
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • Don't throw your cigarette butts out the window!
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 11:22:12 AM »
I've always kept my session files on a separate drive, currently an external drive. Tell your DAW (and any other program) where to keep stuff, don't leave it up to your o/s.

I was fortunate to know an old time programmer who showed me to keep my file system in order and away from the main C drive. That way, any o/s crashes won't take out my saved files.

Of course, after 25 years, it can still take a while to find some stuff..... LOL. But, anything music related goes into the music file.
'Smile and the world smiles with you!' - Charlie Chaplin
'It's better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees' - Midnight Oil
https://soundcloud.com/search?q=whitestrat73

Offline DJKTRox

• K-2
  • Producer
    • View Profile
    • KT - My Website
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 07:27:10 PM »
I think im going to have to take an evening to unpick it all and set designated folders for things...it just is so laborious  :o :o lol

Offline onetrack

• Original
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 09:46:22 PM »
Damn the latest GarageBand version isn’t available on my iPad mini 2. So it looks like I’ve lost recent projects. 😳

I’m just trying a total reset and restore from jan 8th. I’m hoping it will revert back to when it was working.

Damn you apple for leaving older hardware customers behind. Scandalous. But I guess I should have seen it coming.

Offline onetrack

• Original
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 09:11:37 PM »
Phew

I managed to download a previous version of GarageBand and it had my recent song/projects.