!!

Welcome to Two Track Music

Guest/Visitor, welcome to the Two Track Music forum area.  If you're not yet a member here, just click the Register link above to sign up.  It's free, quick, and relatively easy.

Once registered, you will be able to post anywhere in the forums, create topics, ask questions, show off your music, and collaborate with other members to create a new song or musical piece.

You will also be able to view post attachments, which are usually songs in progress or completed songs.  And, you'll have access to our TTM Articles section, which contains a variety of articles on software, hardware, mixing, mastering, and many other topics.  The forum Search option will also be available to you once registered.

Two Track Music is a somewhat 'laid back' community.  Just some good musicians and song writers hanging out, and having a good time.  We're not a high pressure or fast paced site, we just enjoy kicking back and making some music, and having fun while we're doing it.

If that sounds like your kind of place, please join us.  We'd love to have you in the mix.  And yes, pun intended... ;)

Additional Menu

TTM Shoutbox

Last 15 Shouts:

kevmsmith81

November 08, 2019, 07:43:09 PM
Yeah he's not signed in for over a month.  Is he on any other sites that people know of?

whitestrat73

November 05, 2019, 04:34:54 PM
Hasn't replied to a couple of emails. I'm getting worried for him......

Dino

November 05, 2019, 12:57:28 PM
I wonder if Joom is okay.  Its been a while now :(

neilmac

November 05, 2019, 01:59:41 AM
GRRRRRRRRR
Just sayin'  >:(

DJKTRox

November 02, 2019, 07:23:58 PM
I am now using AVG Secure browser and its not happening with that one...

RedJoker

October 28, 2019, 05:57:44 PM
For me, I just blocked JavaScript for this site and the livestat thing went away.

agradeleous

October 27, 2019, 06:18:53 PM
Nope its just a figment of your imagination.
for some reason using opera on W10 pc its not there . it does however only show on TTM using Android for me that is and Yes its Bloody annoying so I hope it spreads why should we have all the fun . LOL

DJKTRox

October 26, 2019, 08:18:26 PM
Anyone figured out the livestats thingy yet? Kinda annoying...  ::) damn computer gremlins!

Gazebo

October 26, 2019, 08:34:42 AM
I'm still getting the "Livestat" pages moving between items on the site and Chrome is telling me that the site is "Not Secure".  Is it my end or a site issue?  Has anyone found a way to overcome?

Smurf

October 24, 2019, 12:42:59 AM
Yo Spiral!  8)

whitestrat73

October 23, 2019, 01:24:39 PM
Hey!

Spiral

October 22, 2019, 03:59:15 PM
Terve!

agradeleous

October 12, 2019, 05:22:46 PM
I finally was able to log in on my phone a second ago I couldn't last night kept saying wrong password .
Logging in just a minute ago kind of took a few minutes. Anywho .😑

kevmsmith81

October 12, 2019, 10:33:55 AM
I get it on both my phone and my laptop, so it must be an issue with the site.

agradeleous

October 11, 2019, 10:06:57 PM
I just back page . We should keep this on tread “ things we only should know “
Thanks ;)

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 13, 2019, 09:30:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thoughts on W10 Upgrade  (Read 3181 times)

Offline gc

• Original
  • Producer
  • Not my monkey, not my circus.
    • View Profile
Thoughts on W10 Upgrade
« on: October 23, 2015, 01:01:23 AM »
I finally took the plunge & upgraded my W7 music PC to W10.  Simple, right?  Enter Microsoft.  What a cluster.
What started off as a smooth & easy upgrade ended up as a 'nuke & pave'.  About half way thru the upgrade the PC failed on a restart, claiming a missing Master Boot Record.  That was the least of what was 'missing'.  Stuck between W7 & W10.  No forward, no back. 

So...being the adventurous type I opted to do an ISO disc install of W10, which did work.  I was able to keep my data files but lost all the program stuff.  So I spent some quality time finding license keys & re-downloading huge files to get back to the latest & greatest of all-things-recording.  I no longer get paid by the hour...so it's ok.  I want to blame myself for the faux-up here, but all I see is MS.  Outstanding chance to clean house.

Impressions of W10?  It's like going into your garage or closet and finding that some talented efficiency expert has reorganized everything.  It's all there...you just get to play hide & seek.  It's opening screen reminds me of a bunker.  The only thing it got me (over W7) is pissed off.  But...after rooting around & cleaning things up I've got a fair handle on how the OS works.  Not that steep of a learning curve.

So far everything I've thrown at it as far as interfaces, Reaper, vst's & vsti's have all loaded & performed flawlessly.  Better?  No.  I had forgotten how much fun it was to negotiate Toontrack, Amplitube & a few other sites that have interesting download requirements. 

Still exercising (or exorcising?) this sucker to see what shakes out.  So far overall: a PITA.

g

Offline way2lon

• Original
  • Producer
  • Just hangin' here at TTM
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on W10 Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 07:25:36 AM »
Totally agree GC. I installed it on my laptop before deciding to use it here on the music production main PC. I'm glad I did as I will be keeping W7. It' s far easier to navigate even though 10 is clever once you've found your way around but I'm one of these lazy folk that don't like change and I can't see why MS has done this. It's not pretty or even faster and things are hidden all over the place. I ended up, once I'd found them, sending shortcuts to the desktop and downloading  windows essentials again so I could run my email and understand it.
So now, my laptop looks and works like W7 mostly and the upgrade was a total waste of time. I wish I'd have known about the re-install of W7 fro 10 before my time ran out but if I want to do it now I would have to re-install from a disc which I don't have so I'm stuck with 10 on my laptop. Maybe I'll sell it and buy another with 7 on it or even XP...I liked that.
I think MS just do these things for something to do (change for change sake) or something. I'd love some debate on this from others who like W10.  ::->
What a pity we can't know in advance who the spoiling minority are!

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • Producer
  • Old, tired, and ready to jam...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 09:48:39 AM »
I went through all the debates over Win 8, W.  :P

I can see the humanistic urge to check out something new, I've done it myself more than once.  But then I heard a really smart guy say something very simple but quite profound that I now repeat often - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  ;D

As happened to GC, I've had to nuke a perfectly good system too many times to do it again on purpose.  Sometimes losing things along the way.  Now I only try things out on test systems.  My main systems will be on 7 for quite some time yet...  (-!)
A few quick and dirty cheaters from the old days, just for kicks...... www.twotrackmusic.com/joomcheats

Offline frankenxtein

• Janitor
  • Original
  • Producer
  • What?
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxteins Sound Click Page
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 11:07:29 AM »
Being that I've embraced the automobile , you'd think this would be a shoe in.
       Still got 10 on one of my mini pc's , but it's not hooked up , waiting for the magic potion to kill it's self awareness.  ;) Even if you unplug it , it has a desire to be updated  :-\

It's good to try out new stuff and learning what makes things tick. The operating system getting ahead of the software/hardware is wise ...... imho  ;)

Here we are without a mind reading device , thought enhancer , nirvana generator , or holographic coffee table. Okay maybe that last one is coming along , my idea  ::) :P .

The thought enhancer has a few bugs .... mixing the "Learn to speak Chinese" with the "Be a Navajo Code Talker" Will have you speaking a sort of Swedish/Spanish and nobody can understand you. The effect lasts  till you eat a Mexican Swedish meatball , made of ...... you don't want to know.  .... The nirvana generator they're trying to make it smaller , to make it more comfortable.  ;D   
     10 will assume control eventually. Why fight it just lay the pod on the floor next to your bed , everything will be much better.  ;D
Okay ... lets do this one more time ... take 43 http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1277143

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 11:24:06 AM »
I agree that 10 will eventually be 'the thing', and I can't say anything bad about people wanting to be ahead of the curve.

But, after I had a little chuckle at a small comedy skit I saw quite a few years ago, I figured out that it applied to me.  Went something like this:

The difference between men and women are the way they shop.  A woman goes into a store with the intent to shop, finds something she likes, and buys it.  Like a new coat.  A guy walks down the sidewalk, decides he's cold, goes in the store and buys a coat.  Done.

I'm that guy.  If I need something, I get it, otherwise I just keep on truckin'.  ;D

I'm in the position where I need to know Windows 10 for client support, but I don't need it to do anything I do personally right now.  Kind of like a car - I know someday I'll need to upgrade, but I don't need to right now.  That's why I chuckle at these iPhone commercials - I just bought my iPhone last month, but there's a new one out so I have to have it:P

I know I always make it sound like upgrading is a bad thing, but it isn't.  There's a new toy and people want to play.  All of the above is just my personal perspective.  And when it will benefit me in some way, I'll be on 10 across the board...
A few quick and dirty cheaters from the old days, just for kicks...... www.twotrackmusic.com/joomcheats

Offline toadman

• Original
  • Producer
  • TTM feels like home
    • View Profile
    • toadman
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 12:43:49 PM »
'Being that I've embraced the automobile......'

:P :P :P :P :P :P
Feel free to check out My Nimbit Store

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 01:00:25 PM »
'Being that I've embraced the automobile......'

:P :P :P :P :P :P

It's funny.  We've all embraced the automobile, but we still have to talk about how many horses we have under the hood.  Old habits...  :P

Offline gc

• Original
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 02:45:46 PM »
I went from XP to W7 kicking & screaming.  This jump to W10 was just plain filled with dread & apprehension.  Looking at the fact that W7 is on the books as being phased out (granted 5 years down the road) and that the 'free' upgrade (nothing is 'free') has what remains of a year to be taken advantage of, I bowed to the inevitable & bit.

Two days worth of sporadic testing, peeking under the rocks & locating things & I'm ok with it.  It boots quickly.  Woo-hoo.  Like I need those extra 30 seconds of productivity in my life.  Still learning & toying with all of the 'helpful' and data gathering features.  W10 more invasive than W7?  I don't know that I buy that.  W10 might be more transparent about watching the user.  I do not think that MS is doing anything new here...just sharing what they were already up to.

More to come.  Just waiting for the other shoe to drop.  And in no rush to upgrade the other systems.

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 03:02:43 PM »
Glad it worked out in the end, GC.  Always a scary thing on a production system.  But now that you have it up and running, you should be good to go.

So, 30 seconds less time to boot, faster navigation, quicker program loads - just think of the spare time you'll have for recording now.  :P

Looking forward to updates on how everything works with it as far as audio stuff...

Offline neilmac

• Original
  • Producer
  • What?
    • View Profile
    • Album for sale!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 03:28:27 PM »
Glad it worked out in the end, GC.  Always a scary thing on a production system.  But now that you have it up and running, you should be good to go.

So, 30 seconds less time to boot,

And that 30 seconds extra you gain gets eaten up by doing updates every single day.....??

Sounds like government to me... "we'll lower the state tax, but we'll increase your income tax and not tell you that part" :P
"If it looks good, you'll see it.If it sounds good you'll hear it. If it's marketed right you'll buy it. But if it's real, you'll feel it"

Offline gc

• Original
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 04:45:03 PM »
Updates area actually very transparent.  So far anyhow.  No burps or glitches. 

Offline frankenxtein

• Janitor
  • Original
  • Producer
  • What?
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxteins Sound Click Page
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 07:34:36 PM »
Updates area actually very transparent.  So far anyhow.  No burps or glitches. 
When I was testing W10Pro I was really stressing it out , playing back lots of tracks with individual effects , running task manager (Disk performance) on a single (SSD) drive system .....  couldn't kill it ..... I never really tested W8.1 near as much , in all honesty it's probably much better today.
     My recording unit is working too good to change it out ...... fact is I could record with any operating system (XP - W10) Just kind of stuck on 8.1 My favorite machine setup wont run W10 ;)

Okay ... lets do this one more time ... take 43 http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1277143

Offline Schprocket

• One day, I will get a Round Tuit...
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
    • View Profile
    • Heartat.this
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 08:23:58 PM »
The only issue I've had is a driver issue for the Zoom R16... and that the Edge browser, of all things, didn't seem to handle my video card upgrade too well...

Win 10 defaults the R16 to 96kHz, which I really don't give a rat's about, so I will get pops during audio playback of any audio from the web or just via any media player.
I can force 44.1 kHz but sometimes YouTube still tries to run 96kHz so I'm thinking that the driver itself isn't reporting its settings to Win 10 too well.

Stick the R8 back on - different driver - or use the mobo system sound and all is good.

Recording with ASIO is fine, though, so the music production impact hasn't really changed.

The majority of issues I've had relate to the fact that a few of my machines are running the Insider Preview, which is the bleeding edge beta-testing sort of deal, which, unlike previous MS iterations, you have the opportunity to give feedback directly to MS regarding performance, lack of same, issues, and/or suggestions.

Given the corporate "we-know-best"crap we've endured for the last 15 to 20 years from MS, the feedback system actually feels like it gets things done. It's never instantaneously - unless there's a security issue - but issues get fixed with the IP builds reasonably quickly... almost Linux-like.

Upgrading from my Win 8 installs were a breeze. Wish I could say the thing about Win 7.
Every single update I've done from 7 has been a royal PITA because I never left auto-updates enabled, and I would recommend people just set the updates to "advise but don't download".... boy, has this ever turned on me and bitten me in the arse...

Moral of the story - if you have Win 7 and find that your Luddite ways and fears of a brave new world have eroded and you want to give Win 10 a plunge, give yourself a good day or so to get the updates current, wait for the little update symbol to appear, check the internet if there are any issues with your mobo, graphics card, and/or audio card before hand, then go for it.

What don't I like about Win 10?

• I can't set the updates to advise but not download"" ... :D

• Whilst I'm happy to run a public peer-to-peer for update distribution whilst I'm asleep, I'm not happy with"the "we'll suck your bandwidth dry when our dodgy algorithm thinks you're not busy, and you can't throttle it, rendering your PC and entire home network as useless as a 2400 baud modem" - it's either all or nothing.

Both of which have been fed back to MS. I don't expect the update setting to change but I'm hoping that PTP scheduling and throttling gets a guernsey...

P.S. Finally got Cortana working in Oz. Kinda cool but I'd completely forgotten that Google has had that speech option in the web-browsers for a little while now.
... and whilst talking about Google, Chrome also recognises MIDI input so expect a heap of browser-based music apps (decent ones) to start popping up.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:36:12 PM by Schprocket »

Love is all you need...

Offline Schprocket

• One day, I will get a Round Tuit...
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
    • View Profile
    • Heartat.this
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 07:54:30 AM »
I do understand the trepidation which follows any significant software revision but sometimes it looks to me like this...

;)  :D

Love is all you need...

Offline gc

• Original
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 03:06:49 PM »
I'm pretty much over the  inconvenience-of-something-new thing with W10.  I was a bit skeptical of incompatible drivers etc but have not encountered anything that doesn't want to play yet.  No adverse impact on anything to do with recording.  MS has a habit of systems that try to 'help'.  I don't want help...I want it to do what needs to be done without pestering me too much.  Updates haven't yet been an issue but I see where not being able to control scheduling could be an irritant. 
I do need to get a lot more anal about where I store my license keys for all of these neat little apps that make the sounds happen.