!!

Welcome to Two Track Music

Guest/Visitor, welcome to the Two Track Music forum area.  If you're not yet a member here, just click the Register link above to sign up.  It's free, quick, and relatively easy.

Once registered, you will be able to post anywhere in the forums, create topics, ask questions, show off your music, and collaborate with other members to create a new song or musical piece.

You will also be able to view post attachments, which are usually songs in progress or completed songs.  And, you'll have access to our TTM Articles section, which contains a variety of articles on software, hardware, mixing, mastering, and many other topics.  The forum Search option will also be available to you once registered.

Two Track Music is a somewhat 'laid back' community.  Just some good musicians and song writers hanging out, and having a good time.  We're not a high pressure or fast paced site, we just enjoy kicking back and making some music, and having fun while we're doing it.

If that sounds like your kind of place, please join us.  We'd love to have you in the mix.  And yes, pun intended... ;)

Additional Menu

TTM Shoutbox

Last 15 Shouts:

buster

Yesterday at 09:29:23 PM
Thanks WS, it's a new looking site since I was last there.  I actually stopped using them a while back, altho they still pay me royalties, they stopped reviewing new work I submitted, so for the few songs they were using it was a waste of time.

kevmsmith81

Yesterday at 06:15:44 PM
Wow, talking about Soundclick.  I'd forgotten about that site.  That was where all my earliest uploads went.  I'm kinda amazed it is still going after all this time.  I'll have to check out the site properly as there used to be some interesting stuff on there.

whitestrat73

Yesterday at 10:38:25 AM
Oh, and of course, mail them using their online form, just to be safe.....  ;)

whitestrat73

Yesterday at 10:37:19 AM
I don't use/visit MooMoo, Buster, but on checking their site, I see no notices regarding changes.
I'd, maybe, email them to ask, letting them know about the mail you have.

buster

Yesterday at 10:06:41 AM
Anyone received an email from MooMoo Music claiming to have a new site and to reset your password?..and do you know if it's legit or not?

combobob

Yesterday at 01:25:29 AM
because I haven't used it in years

combobob

Yesterday at 01:25:05 AM
I found my old Soundclick page so perhaps it gets loaded occasionally?  :o

Gazebo

December 16, 2017, 09:49:19 AM
I was looking for the Soundclick pages too - I guess they must get closed down if they are not used for a few years :-[

combobob

December 16, 2017, 02:08:00 AM
and the Parent Directory has a few things in it too:
http://www.twotrackmusic.com/kaeftp/KAE_Challenge_Archive/

combobob

December 16, 2017, 02:06:48 AM
I have a list of all Challenges and the top 3 places from the first KAE to the Open of Sep 2012.
One link still works. Merry Christmas:
http://www.twotrackmusic.com/kaeftp/KAE_Challenge_Archive/The_KAE_Christmas_Album/

combobob

December 15, 2017, 07:23:55 PM
I will go through my bu drives today too Smurf. I think all I have is the info for each Challenge I used to set up the archives originally. Pretty sure I didn't save any songs as I figured they were all in the archives. Weird about the Soundclick pages going missing too...

Smurf

December 15, 2017, 07:00:58 PM
Well, spent last night & all of today going thru my BU DVD's....I have nothing....not a dam thing from the past challenges....

This makes me sick, it really does...... :'(

Joom

December 15, 2017, 02:24:10 AM
Well then.  Had to go do some work at a school this evening, and got wrapped up in their Christmas Party.  One of the students was performing.  Acoustic, electric, and slide.  Not a bad player or singer.

They offered food, but I had to work on stuff...

Joom

December 14, 2017, 02:40:18 PM
When the site got hacked a couple months or so ago, that was wiped out.  Song files, software, everything.  Now I have to rebuild a facility for that, but I don't have copies of all the archived songs...

Joom

December 14, 2017, 02:37:53 PM
In the "Additional Menu" above the shoutbox, Red, you'll see an option for "ODC Archives".  That was a place I set up to store archives from all our ODC challenges...

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 07:09:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DIY Tube Amp(s)  (Read 3888 times)

Offline gc

• Original
  • Producer
  • Not my monkey, not my circus.
    • View Profile
Re: DIY Tube Amp(s)
« Reply #180 on: April 21, 2017, 01:22:42 PM »
Look at you go.  Looking good.  Nice, simple & uncluttered front panels (not 13+ knobs & switches).  Like that.  Neat cabs too.  I don't have a Facebook acct. but next visit from my daughter I'll check out the chassis link.   Nice variety of different pwr sections & designs.  I've got a chassis drilled for an AX84 'Hi-Octane' type build but have yet to gather iron & components. 

Great work, FX.

Gordon

Offline frankenxtein

• Janitor
  • Original
  • Producer
  • What?
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxteins Sound Click Page
« Reply #181 on: April 21, 2017, 05:40:46 PM »
The secret to the chassis is dumb luck. The steel is 26ga. Easy to work with. You have to get sharp brakes to get it strong. Two 2" 20 something pieces of Heavy angle iron ..... I tried to show details in the photos. It's all about how thrifty some of these have been. The Pro Amp took a bit of cash. It's a Fender 30 watt reverb amp (no Tremolo) that sounds like a Marshall imho not like I've heard a lot. If you barely crack the volume you might get a clean sound lol.  Okay that's with the volume on the guitar down to a third maybe. Open those high output pickups and set the amp 9oclock ..... You'll need earplugs  ;D  The Peavey Strat will make it scream too. Goes well past 12oclock before it stops getting louder. That volume control works like that when the amps are biased right it seems. I changed the last coupling caps on it to .015uf instead of .1uf too dark even for a strat imo. The reverb is perfect.

I'm lucky to get the preamp/reverb/phase inverter right the latter is a real knot on that socket. Actually building from the schematic now instead of paint by number gives me the confidence to say , If you got a schematic I can build it. I still have my lucky fuse and I'm not surprised they work at the first flip of the switch  :P This last one could have benefited by using a board or string of terminal strips. My next trick is going to be a Gibson Skylark 12ax7-6bm8-6x4 , out of that Japanese , Russian , American tiny amp I did. It will be a different method (little tag board) Vibrato even , if I remember correctly. Still have another Silvertone R-R to build might be another vibrato amp. The Skylark is just to amuse a friend in Italy.
Here's a link to a few pictures ... I'll add more as time goes by. The VoF is in it's curbside pine cabinet , and the Deluxe Micro in it's Black Box , along with , the Pro Amp.  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b316lvg6qesa9az/AADhkMP6VxzVoGSBvKfugNoZa?dl=0
Okay ... lets do this one more time ... take 43 http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1277143

Offline frankenxtein

• Janitor
  • Original
  • Producer
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 22, 2017, 04:37:17 PM »
This is inspiring DIY  8)
Okay ... lets do this one more time ... take 43 http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1277143

Offline gc

• Original
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 22, 2017, 09:19:09 PM »
Thanks for the dropbox link to your work, FX.  Takes some skills to take a project from concept through to fruition.  Very well done.   

The 3 part 'Terror' link was fun to watch too.  Agree that it is inspirational.  I love DIY stuff.  Thrifty, creative, educational & rewarding, IMHO. 

Gordon

Offline frankenxtein

• Janitor
  • Original
  • Producer
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 22, 2017, 04:13:03 PM »
Last one I did lately
Pro Amp 5e3 /reverb
Primary 116vac (bucking transformer)
B+
A 397vdc
B 367vdc
C 302vdc
D 300vdc
6.3v supply:
A- 6.44vac , B- 6.56vac

V1- Pin 1-6 155vdc cathode 1.7v w/bypass 108vdc cathode 1.0v
V2- pin1 294v pin6 186v
V3- pin1 192v pin6 187v

V4- pin3 391v current 22.678mA pin4 336v (OT blue to red 105.4ohms 6.13v drop)
V5- pin3 392v current 22.344mA pin4 335.5v (OT brown to red 99.2ohms 5.66v drop)
V1  5751 tube in parallel 

Warning ..... The following files are not real musical
, just a bit to show how the Pro Amp 5e3 W/reverb sounds.

Strumming & Lead Recorded with the portable 1' away from the speaker (the Celestion in  the H&K ATTAX 80) Just running thru a few settings on the amp.

The portable is padded so it's not clipping. You can hear me describe some of what the settings are.  Wes used a few different guitars

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vl45u3mloxjpme/ProAmp%205e3Reverb.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rp3z2dmv03xdvar/ProAmp%205e3Reverb2.mp3?dl=0

I have a 12ay7 in V1 now it smooths it down a bit. Haven't recorded that yet. The Pro Amp is just a nasty sounding amp if you don't use a lot of touch. Someone that doesn't use pedals and wants overdrive without master volume it might be a neat thing. I plan on cleaning this one up a lot more.
            It's built to schematic so that's what they sound like when you just build from another player/builders design. Dropping the gain on V1 via a switch or two may make it something I'd like. http://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=21695.msg232118#msg232118

If it's not nasty enough ;) maybe my version of a Matchless Clubman 35 ef86 would be better lol. Nothing catches fire .... so far

PS: the schematic was made using https://www.expresspcb.com/expresssch/
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 04:24:56 PM by frankenxtein »

Offline frankenxtein

• Janitor
  • Original
  • Producer
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 14, 2017, 03:37:32 AM »
Built an amp for Wes The Mangler (Matchless Clubman 35 ef86)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 03:50:36 AM by frankenxtein »

Offline gc

• Original
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 14, 2017, 03:46:33 PM »
Nice pics, nice sounds.  Thanks for the info & the clips.  Great work!

Gordon

Offline frankenxtein

• Janitor
  • Original
  • Producer
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 14, 2017, 11:26:56 PM »
Thank you Gordon , It's a cross between EF86 Matchvox Nightclub Guy , Matchless Clubman 35 , JTM45  :P No switches yet but , it knows Kung Fu. 47 screws so far , got a nice 12" PRS 16ohm driver for it.

The resistors on the cathodes and screens are over the top. The 5u4 knocks the voltage down pretty good. 9 amps of 6.3v It's a NOS Thordarson PT 190ma     

Offline agradeleous

• My stuffs
  • Original
  • Producer
  • Just hangin' here at TTM Upside Down
    • View Profile
    • Ags YouTube
« Reply #188 on: October 15, 2017, 12:22:55 PM »
Nice job ! Now buy the carvin rights and start building Amps !!! ;)

Offline gc

• Original
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 15, 2017, 02:17:12 PM »
Thank you Gordon , It's a cross between EF86 Matchvox Nightclub Guy , Matchless Clubman 35 , JTM45  :P No switches yet but , it knows Kung Fu. 47 screws so far , got a nice 12" PRS 16ohm driver for it.

The resistors on the cathodes and screens are over the top. The 5u4 knocks the voltage down pretty good. 9 amps of 6.3v It's a NOS Thordarson PT 190ma     

Very nice schematics.  Like the voltages listed too.  Makes it comfortable to read & verify accuracy.  I'm negotiating the possibility og replacing the SS rectifier on my JCM prokect with a tube rectifier.  Partly to drag the voltage down (instead of the (Zeners) and partly for the curiosity of sag & 'what-happens=if-I-do-this? 

Neat stuff.

Gordon

Offline frankenxtein

• Janitor
  • Original
  • Producer
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 16, 2017, 10:34:18 AM »
My voltages

primary 115vac
B+ A 412v , B 409v , C384v , D 368v , E 172v

V1 160v  cath 1.88v
V2 plate 108.4v scrn 86v cath 1.95v
V3 pin1 298v pin2 287 bias 73.5v
V4 plate 400v scrn 374v cath 25.68v plate 34.9ma - scrn 3.53ma = 31.37ma/ea
V5 see V4 very close
300ohm cathode resistors Started with 360ohm resistors pdis 24ma/ea

Offline frankenxtein

• Janitor
  • Original
  • Producer
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 16, 2017, 10:50:21 AM »
Very nice schematics.  Like the voltages listed too.  Makes it comfortable to read & verify accuracy.  I'm negotiating the possibility og replacing the SS rectifier on my JCM prokect with a tube rectifier.  Partly to drag the voltage down (instead of the (Zeners) and partly for the curiosity of sag & 'what-happens=if-I-do-this? 

Neat stuff.

Gordon

Surge on startup is 530volts.  Scored a used 5r4gya for $10 on eBay knocked off an extra 10-15 volts off B+ vs 5u4gb.  Saving it for something else  ;) .