!!

Welcome to Two Track Music

Guest/Visitor, welcome to the Two Track Music forum area.  If you're not yet a member here, just click the Register link above to sign up.  It's free, quick, and relatively easy.

Once registered, you will be able to post anywhere in the forums, create topics, ask questions, show off your music, and collaborate with other members to create a new song or musical piece.

You will also be able to view post attachments, which are usually songs in progress or completed songs.  And, you'll have access to our TTM Articles section, which contains a variety of articles on software, hardware, mixing, mastering, and many other topics.  The forum Search option will also be available to you once registered.

Two Track Music is a somewhat 'laid back' community.  Just some good musicians and song writers hanging out, and having a good time.  We're not a high pressure or fast paced site, we just enjoy kicking back and making some music, and having fun while we're doing it.

If that sounds like your kind of place, please join us.  We'd love to have you in the mix.  And yes, pun intended... ;)

Additional Menu

TTM Shoutbox

Last 15 Shouts:

buster

Yesterday at 09:29:23 PM
Thanks WS, it's a new looking site since I was last there.  I actually stopped using them a while back, altho they still pay me royalties, they stopped reviewing new work I submitted, so for the few songs they were using it was a waste of time.

kevmsmith81

Yesterday at 06:15:44 PM
Wow, talking about Soundclick.  I'd forgotten about that site.  That was where all my earliest uploads went.  I'm kinda amazed it is still going after all this time.  I'll have to check out the site properly as there used to be some interesting stuff on there.

whitestrat73

Yesterday at 10:38:25 AM
Oh, and of course, mail them using their online form, just to be safe.....  ;)

whitestrat73

Yesterday at 10:37:19 AM
I don't use/visit MooMoo, Buster, but on checking their site, I see no notices regarding changes.
I'd, maybe, email them to ask, letting them know about the mail you have.

buster

Yesterday at 10:06:41 AM
Anyone received an email from MooMoo Music claiming to have a new site and to reset your password?..and do you know if it's legit or not?

combobob

Yesterday at 01:25:29 AM
because I haven't used it in years

combobob

Yesterday at 01:25:05 AM
I found my old Soundclick page so perhaps it gets loaded occasionally?  :o

Gazebo

December 16, 2017, 09:49:19 AM
I was looking for the Soundclick pages too - I guess they must get closed down if they are not used for a few years :-[

combobob

December 16, 2017, 02:08:00 AM
and the Parent Directory has a few things in it too:
http://www.twotrackmusic.com/kaeftp/KAE_Challenge_Archive/

combobob

December 16, 2017, 02:06:48 AM
I have a list of all Challenges and the top 3 places from the first KAE to the Open of Sep 2012.
One link still works. Merry Christmas:
http://www.twotrackmusic.com/kaeftp/KAE_Challenge_Archive/The_KAE_Christmas_Album/

combobob

December 15, 2017, 07:23:55 PM
I will go through my bu drives today too Smurf. I think all I have is the info for each Challenge I used to set up the archives originally. Pretty sure I didn't save any songs as I figured they were all in the archives. Weird about the Soundclick pages going missing too...

Smurf

December 15, 2017, 07:00:58 PM
Well, spent last night & all of today going thru my BU DVD's....I have nothing....not a dam thing from the past challenges....

This makes me sick, it really does...... :'(

Joom

December 15, 2017, 02:24:10 AM
Well then.  Had to go do some work at a school this evening, and got wrapped up in their Christmas Party.  One of the students was performing.  Acoustic, electric, and slide.  Not a bad player or singer.

They offered food, but I had to work on stuff...

Joom

December 14, 2017, 02:40:18 PM
When the site got hacked a couple months or so ago, that was wiped out.  Song files, software, everything.  Now I have to rebuild a facility for that, but I don't have copies of all the archived songs...

Joom

December 14, 2017, 02:37:53 PM
In the "Additional Menu" above the shoutbox, Red, you'll see an option for "ODC Archives".  That was a place I set up to store archives from all our ODC challenges...

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 06:56:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bi-wired loudspeakers  (Read 151 times)

Online whitestrat73

• Still the right side of the grass! :P
  • Global Moderator
  • Producer
  • Don't throw your cigarette butts out the window!
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Bi-wired loudspeakers
« on: September 03, 2017, 11:26:09 AM »
Has anyone tried bi-wired loudspeakers/monitors?

When I first set up my Soundcraft Spirit Absolute 2 close field monitors, I noticed the extra connectors at the rear.... Reading around I found out about 'Bi-wiring'.
Now, I had come across this in the 80s, when I sold hi-fi gear. Although bi-amping and tri-amping was all over the place, most noticeably with Linn/Naim systems, bi-wiring was less known.

Anyways, I recently fell over an article about bi-wiring, which ignited my interest.......  ::)

There are several studies and articles around. Mostly, the consensus of opinion is that, yes, there are improvements, but, usually, they are either very small, or they aren't as great as using a 'good' speaker cable for single wiring. Well, the cable I use is pretty good (not one of those silly price ones)!

How does it work?
Basically, the idea is, that if you feed the treble and bass sides of your crossover with separate cables, albeit from the same source (amplifier output terminals), they will respond better to the audio signal.
This is because, if I understand correctly, the bass or treble circuits are, effectively, calling for their respective frequencies, in such a way that bass signals will not run on the treble cable, and vice versa. So, the frequencies separate themselves out, going only to their respective sides of the crossover circuit and on to the relevant speakers...
The benefits of this are that the higher frequencies aren't hampered by the voltages of bass frequencies and, although less damaging, the same for the bass. This should bring about less 'mush' in the treble and a tighter bass.
There is lots of info about this, here's the relevant Wiki page on the subject.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi-wiring. The 3rd linked reference article is a little harsh (biased), but check this one out, it's a detailed study, which appears to have been seriously undertaken by University of St Andrews, Fife, Scotland. https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~jcgl/Scots_Guide/audio/biwire/Page1.html

The upshot of all this is that I decided to bite the bullet!  :-X

After figuring out that I had just enough speaker cable (79 strand copper) with just one, soldered join, I dug out my cutters, sharp knife, soldering iron and solder.

I had to add on a splice, about an inch from the amplifier end, in order to feed out 2 cables, since, like most amps, mine wouldn't accept 2 x 79 strand cables at the speaker terminal. They only just accepted one....  ???

2 hours later and I was good to go. I stress that I thoroughly checked the phasing and connections, since, an error could at best sound bad and at worst cause damage..... (in fact I had made a mistake, which I corrected before switching on  :-[~:)

The results?
Initial impressions were mixed. It sounded somewhat bright, albeit clear. I removed empty wine glasses, just in case....  ;D
I also decided to angle my monitors inwards, slightly, from their direct forward position. I had tried this before to no benefit.
So, today, sitting and listening with fresh ears, I like it!  ;D
Yup, the tops are cleaner and the bass is certainly tighter, resulting in more definition and clarity.  8)
So, for me it has been a beneficial exercise. Though, I should point out that these monitors are designed to be wired this way, having 2 sets of binding posts at the rear, joined by a metal link. It has been commented that changing the link for a good quality cable link will also bring about good results. This I didn't try (didn't sound like so much fuss and fun, LOL).

So, there you have it! I just wondered if anyone else had tried this......

(-!)
'Smile and the world smiles with you!' - Charlie Chaplin
'It's better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees' - Midnight Oil
https://soundcloud.com/search?q=whitestrat73

Offline agradeleous

• My stuffs
  • Original
  • Producer
  • Just hangin' here at TTM Upside Down
    • View Profile
    • Ags YouTube
Re: Bi-wired loudspeakers
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 12:32:24 PM »
Cool , my tower speakers are bi ampable had them set up that way many years ago .

Online whitestrat73

• Global Moderator
  • Producer
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 12:37:39 PM »
Bi-amping is something else, Ags. You'll need 2 power amps and an active crossover............  ;)

Offline agradeleous

• My stuffs
  • Original
  • Producer
  • Just hangin' here at TTM Upside Down
    • View Profile
    • Ags YouTube
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 06:46:37 PM »
Oops my bad I see now ;)

Offline Adrien

• Groupie
  • Just hangin' here at TTM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 12:38:26 PM »
I still don't understand what it is?

Kind of got confused by OPs first message  ;D

Did you mean on this type of Bi Wiring over Hi-Fi system?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi-wiring

Edit: Now I see what you meant and that you even posted the wiki link. My browser hasn't loaded the entire message of yours lol

Online whitestrat73

• Global Moderator
  • Producer
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 04:33:56 PM »
I know, it's not so easy to understand, at first hearing....  ::)

A week ago I did some more messing around.
First, I put wooden wedges between the table supporting the monitors and the wall. There is no movement of the desk, now, where there was some before. Another improvement..... I remember the old Linn Isobarik speakers used to have a metal bar at the back, to be pushed against the wall. Stops the bass speaker throw from pushing the cabinet backwards and losing bass definition.

Also, since I had been using carpet underlay to stop the monitors from sliding on the desk, I decided to use a better system. They need raising, a little, so I cleaned up some house bricks, to use as risers, then put adhesive felt pads under the speakers, to stop scratches. Wow, another tightening up.....  8)

Rigidity, rigidity, rigidity....  ;)

I also noted that having the studio door closed helps an awful lot to improve sound overall. I guess the sound was getting messed up in the hall....  :-X

Offline Smurf

• Original
  • Producer
  • Is this thing on?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 04:05:40 AM »
Does it not rock to do these experiments yourself?! The wiring thing I have not done, but making my surfaces more rigid, along with PROPERLY placed acoustic treatment has done wonder for my listening position. When I mover it was way easier to set everything up since I was not 2nd guessing myself.

I need to try the wiring soon, I have all the toys sitting hear......
TTM - It is the antidote for the banal idiocy of our current society.

Online whitestrat73

• Global Moderator
  • Producer
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 02:15:24 PM »
Rock, it does, Mr S!  :)

To be honest, I have been a little (lot) lazy about setting up. Most of the tweaks I learned from my days in top level hi-fi, 40 years ago, so I should have been paying better attention. Though, in my defense, I was in a bit of a hurry getting stuff placed, when I moved in, having to decorate, lay carpets and set beds, furniture, TV, hi-fi and studio gear up in a week....  ???

Good luck with the wiring thing. I assume your crossovers are split (highs and mids/lows), to accommodate the bi-wiring....? Though, I guess it isn't rocket science to do mods needed.

(-!)