Community Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2019, 09:46:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: From one many?  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Jaxon

• Roadie
    • View Profile
From one many?
« on: August 12, 2008, 06:00:40 PM »
OK, I have some ideas for a new song. In the chorus, there will be part that I would like be a shout from a group. Last I checked there is only one of me.  ::) So I was thinking I could record myself, copy it to multiple tracks and then apply EQ, shift time, pan etc to make it sound like a gang of guys.

Anyone ever tried something like that? Think it'll work?

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
  • I am, it's what I do...
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
Re: From one many?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 06:38:51 PM »
I've done it, Jaxon, and it does work when it's done right.  The best way to do what you're talking about would be to make all the takes on all the shouts you want, try to make them at different levels and octaves so it sounds like different people, and when you're done mix it down to one clip to add into the song.

When you mix down the takes to a single MP3, you want to do it without any other track in the project so it's just that part.  Then load just that MP3 into Mixcraft by itself, and split the track just before and after the take.  Eliminate the extra sections, and mix that one small part down to an MP3.

I see a lot of people putting out very small takes that come in really large MP3 files.  That will sometimes make the final project mix down larger.  An entire song when it's finished and mixed down to MP3 shouldn't be larger than 3-4MB.

Long winded explanation, but hope it helps.  Do we get to hear a sample of this new idea soon?
A computer once beat me at chess - but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline Jaxon

• Roadie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 07:38:03 PM »
Well, I did a test using one sample. I can see it will work, but like you said, I think multiple samples changing my voice will make a better base to work from.

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
  • I am, it's what I do...
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 07:46:45 PM »
Yup, that will work and sound more realistic.  Also, while you have all the separate tracks before you mix them down, you might try shifting a couple of them a few milliseconds to the right or left so the timing isn't perfect.  You might like the effect, might not.  Just a thought...
A computer once beat me at chess - but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)