Community Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2017, 02:48:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Okay, it's official...  (Read 602 times)

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
  • I am, it's what I do...
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
Okay, it's official...
« on: September 15, 2013, 10:48:21 PM »
ComboBob, GC, and Schprocket are now entering all the ODC archives into the new system.

I just finished one last thing I had to do, which was make it sort and group in descending order by year, then month.  Had issues with that for a while, but have them worked out now.

To sort the months properly, I could have done some fancy coding and footwork, but I didn't.  I added a letter at the beginning of each month name just for sorting purposes.  So if you're wondering why there's a letter there, that's it.  Pretty sure it won't bother people too much, and it saved me a bunch of extra coding work.  Then I had to go back and fix the 60 or so entries already made so the guys above wouldn't have to.

A new menu option has been added to the main menu here, and to the sidebar (Community) menu.  In the next day or two I'll add one to the main website too.

They guys are hard at it, with CB the archiver at the helm.  Shouldn't be too long (week or two maybe) till they're all done.  I'm guessing at that.

As I mentioned somewhere else, I also didn't build a player into the system.  No need.  Click the MP3 link, click Open.

Hopefully this makes things easier for CB, and anyone else who might be involved in future archiving, and for the people who want to look at the archives.

To see the archives, just click on any of the "ODC Archives" links I'm spreading around, and at the login screen click on "Login as Guest".

I also tried to make searching/filtering as easy as possible, using either the simple search I set up or the Advanced search available.

And now I'm sitting here thinking to myself - for a guy that enters the challenge maybe once a year, why in the world did I do all that?  8) :P

Guess I'll just have to enter more often to make it all worth it, eh?
A computer once beat me at chess - but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline gc

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, it's official...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 08:24:16 PM »
Just a quick nod to CB for all of the hard work he's put into keeping up these archived files.  If the migration is smooth & easy, it is in no small part due to his setup & maintenance of the existing files.  A truly thankless job that only usually gets noticed when the 'old' challenge entries need to be archived in order to make room for the 'new' entries.
On behalf of all of us here at TTM, many thanks for all your time & effort, CB.  Greatly appreciated.

g

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 09:07:13 PM »
Absolutely.  I know there were a few times when I was neglectful in my duties, but CB kept plugging away.  And it does appear to be a pretty much thankless job, why he took it on I'll never know.  But he did.

And don't be too modest yourself, GC, I've seen the hundreds of songs you've also migrated in the last few days.

But yes, I'll add my gratitude for all the work and effort.  And a big round of applause I believe would be in order...

(:-A)
A computer once beat me at chess - but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline DinoWodini

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 10:22:22 PM »
I am impressed.  Thanks so much Joom and his band of Migrators.  Had a quick look and it feels easy to find whatever you are looking for.  Well done all. :)

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 10:38:11 PM »
Glad you liked it, Dino.  There's such a massive collection of songs there it's been a shame they haven't been easier for people to get to.  And this way people can also search by artist, or just about anything else.  Also hope it will be easier and faster to archive the songs to, once it's all caught up.

I built a similar system not long ago for another purpose, and one night I just thought "Hey!  With a different database and some programming changes that would make a good archive system."

And now that it's done and in good hands, off to the next project for here...