Community Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2017, 02:48:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Attention!  (Read 622 times)

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
  • I am, it's what I do...
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
Attention!
« on: September 06, 2013, 10:54:38 PM »
I'm just initiating a server migration for TTM at the time of this writing.  The migration will take 24 to 72 hours (likely closer to 72 because of the space we're using).

During the migration, any files uploaded through FTP or attached to a post may be lost.

Best not to attach any files to posts or upload any files through FTP till I give the all clear.

Also, during the migration there may be times when the site could be unavailable for a minute or two at a time, or when the databases may not be accessible for up to 10 minutes.

Wish I'd been able to give more warning, but it was a 'do it now' situation.

The reason is that I needed to create at least one new database for reasons I'll explain later, and the only way I could create the databases I need was to do a server migration to a system that makes available this certain type of database.

This usually takes less than 24 hours, but because we're using so much space I was told it could take up to 72 hours.  Sorry about the interference and possible periodic down time...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 11:01:14 PM by Joom »
A computer once beat me at chess - but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline Schprocket

• Plays lead gill for The Mighty Hellfish and is also
  • TTM Veteran
  • Does Android dream of electric sheep?
    • View Profile
    • This is my home-away-from-home
    • Youtube's channel
Re: Attention!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 11:00:11 PM »
Roger!
...they discovered only a small asteroid inhabited by a solitary old man who claimed repeatedly that nothing was true, though he was later discovered to be lying.

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 11:04:05 PM »
I keep telling you, S, my freakin' name is not Roger.  Or Nancy...  ;D :P
A computer once beat me at chess - but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline Schprocket

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 11:05:06 PM »
You said not to call you Nancy in front of the men... Nancy...
...they discovered only a small asteroid inhabited by a solitary old man who claimed repeatedly that nothing was true, though he was later discovered to be lying.

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 02:10:37 PM »
Update:

The server migration completed about an hour ago, but not without hiccups along the way.  When the migration finally completed, it did some damage to some passwords and other connection information, killing access again for a brief period.

I've also been notified that things may be slower (which they obviously are) for up to a 24 hour period now while everything settles in.  But I think finally the worst, and the glitches, might be over.

Today I'll slowly be trying to get everything else back to normal everywhere, and hopefully the access speed will return shortly.

The reason for all this is that I'd asked ComboBob about whether it would be of benefit for everybody if I built a better system for archiving the ODC challenge songs here.  A database system that would make things easier all the way around - for him and for all of you.

To do that, though, I needed to create a database with direct access capability, and TTM being 8-9 years old didn't have that ability for databases.  The only way to make it happen was to have the entire site migrated to a new server and a new database server.  I worked with GoDaddy to do that, and that's when the fun started.  Especially being a Friday night with the weekend here.

When the dust settles and I've made sure everything is functional on the site again, I'll start work on the reason for the change - the archives.

Sorry about all the hassle, downtime, and any posts that may have been lost in the database shuffle.  Shouldn't happen again for another 8-9 years now...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 02:19:24 PM by Joom »

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 09:58:45 PM »
Another update:

After trying everything I could do on this end, I finally called tech support.  To make a long wait, long call, and long story short - even though I received an email earlier today that the migration had completed, it apparently hadn't.

I'm told that the database migration is still taking place (since Friday night), and will still take another 16-24 hours.  That's the reason for the speed issue right now here.  I was asked to give it till tomorrow afternoon (at least 16 hours from the time of this post) for that to complete.  If at that time the speed issue hasn't resolved itself, I'm to call tech support back.

Again, sorry for the issues, but there seems to be nothing I can do to fix this from my end.  Hopefully it does resolve itself.  I'll post again tomorrow afternoon with another update.  Right now I hope that I can post this...  ::)

Offline Schprocket

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 08:20:57 AM »
J-man, don't worry so much, mate.

Yep, it's a little slow but I'd rather that than the Forbidden 403 that I was getting earlier... I never doubted getting the site back in some form or another but not having anything almost felt as bad as not having the internet. Period.

I didn't think that even with my rampant lurking and going walkabout that I would miss not being able to access the site as much as you would having your caffeine drip yanked out! :)

This effort is all off your own back so I'd like to think there's no need for you to apologise to us. However, cash is always a good substitute..... LOL!!!

It'll get there mate :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:57:48 AM by Schprocket »

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 02:24:25 PM »
Latest Update:

Another couple hours on the phone got me this.  The database migration went to an already burdened database server, apparently.

The end result 'fix' was to let them do another migration to a better server.  What that means?  Another 24-72 hour migration process starting now.

So, any posts between now and then could be lost in the shuffle.  Definitely any attachments could be lost.  I have to give them at least 24 hours for this new migration to complete, and possibly up to 72.

They now understand that this has been an issue since Friday night, and needs to be corrected.  This is their shot at it.  Sorry again for the problems, but it seems if something like this happens it's going to happen to me.  But now it's just wait and see.  Again...

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 05:02:50 PM »
And finally?  Maybe?

Seems to be working normally again right now.  Almost.  The latest 'migration' apparently also changed the sites IP address and absolute home path.  So for the few that were lucky enough to see the forums with the error message about themes and the screwed up look, that's what that was all about.  I've now corrected those in the forum software, but I have no idea as of yet what else might have been changed, modified, or toasted.  I'll stay on it to find out, but in the meantime if anyone finds anything strange (other than the possibility of still having speed issues today), let me know.

What a ride.  And even though it was my brilliant idea to come up with a better way to do the ODC archives (which started all this), I'm still going to blame ComboBob.  No particular reason, it's just standard business practice to blame somebody else.

One last problem I have to figure out is why I now can't access the FTP file manager in my TTM hosting control panel, which I need to do certain things.  Tech support has no idea, and says it's working fine on their end.

What a mess.  It's kind of  like pulling a sliver off a 2x4 because you needed a toothpick, then watching your house fall down.  I just needed a simple database...  ???