Community Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2018, 05:25:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: About Challenges  (Read 2577 times)

Offline way2lon

• Coverall
  • TTM Veteran
  • Follow me, said the wise man. But he walked behind
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
About Challenges
« on: September 04, 2013, 04:12:54 AM »
There has been some chat about amalgamation of the monthly challenges both here and at GMH caf
I can stand it but I can't hardly

Offline neilmac

• Producer
    • View Profile
    • My page at Reverbnation
Re: About Challenges
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 08:43:29 AM »
Personally, I have nothing against the idea in theory....
It is sometimes difficult to come up with two songs a month, or to do two songs complete justice.....
But since I'm not writing stuff outside of the challenge arena, it's not usually a problem for me in that regard....

On the flip side of the coin though, it's nice to have a choice....
That way if one challenge doesn't spark something, there's always the other one that might... :)

It'll be interesting to hear what everyone else thinks... :)

Offline onetrackmind

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 08:53:10 AM »
to be honest, i dont visit GMH cafe that often. but i visit TTM quite often.
ive never entered a GMH challenge. Ive quite often entered a TTM challenge (in the form of ODC).
so, i have no knowledge of how well received GMH challenges are. but with only 4 entries in the August ODC and 12 voters, perhaps an amalgamation of both would result in an increase in interest, participation and voters.
i dont know how it would work? who would run it? who would decide the first challenge? etc but I think it could be a great idea.

Offline Jahva

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 09:27:21 AM »
I come to the TTM site most every day even if it's just to read or listen to what others are doing.
I've entered the TTM challenge only a few times... and haven't really visit the GMH cafe that often. No offense to the creators I don't really see that much of a difference. Though I'm sure each has its own unique qualities. But it does seem like a duplication of things.
I do make sure that I vote on the TTM challenges and have done so every month since I've been coming here. Even tallied a few times.  :-\ :o
Are the challenges Universal or are there certain qualities that seperate them... as participants do you see much difference in the two? If not then it's duplication.

I would think bringing the two together should be decided by Joom and the GMH cafe creator(s). But that's just my .02...
anyone got change for a nickel. :-\
Playin' the mind guerrilla Chantin' the mantra, peace on earth

JL

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
  • I am, it's what I do...
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 09:49:10 AM »
I would think bringing the two together should be decided by Joom and the GMH cafe creator(s). But that's just my .02...
anyone got change for a nickel. :-\

Nope.  8) :P   I figured out a long time ago that if you're the mayor and don't have to make a choice about something, you're better off not to.  Choose one side of the coin and get hung by 50% of the population, choose the other side and get shot by the other 50%.  In some cases it's just best to go to lunch and defer to popular vote...  ;)
A computer once beat me at chess - but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 10:06:37 AM »
Trying to get in front of the mic is a challenge for me, uh and the challenges are so challenging sometimes, I only done the challenge a couple of times, but really wanted to do the last challenge. My partner in crime (Wes) was busy with work and these darn muso's around here wont give us a break  ;D .

Translation:
Man Stoner: No, hey man, if we're gonna wear uniforms man, you know let's have everybody wear something different. Pedro: Yea, that's it. Yea, we want something where everybody wears something different man, but the same, you know.
Constantly tweaking everything and then nothing.

Offline 9

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 12:45:10 PM »
oh poop, not this can o worms again  :D :D :D [the newer members might not remember a similar discussion, when we decided to amalgamate the KAE monthly Chall, over to TTM as the ODC, ]

Now please DO NOT GET OFFENDED BY ANTHING I SAY IN THIS POST, its not intended that way. Im a smart arse aussie, not really sure what im trying to say, and besides, im not really active in the challenges at the moment so my opinion may not be worth a pinch of poop.

TTM is JOOMs baby, so IMO, its your call Jman, and i know that fence is comfortable, but its time to take to the wing LOL you cant please everybody.

Its always been a bit of a shame that this place was never really pushed a bit harder to the multitudes, but i fully understand your position as to " life vs hobbies" [same for all here]. Why i say this, is that my perception of the two sites can be summed up with the following simple formula

TTM = slackers paradise [by design ??]
GMH = Go getters central
(that will win you some friends 9  :D )

I do admire Glenns semingly endless efforts he puts into GMH, and im sure im not alone on that point and im certainly not dispelling you Joom, and your amazing site you have here, i believe given more free time, you would most likely be doing the same here,  its 2 distinctly different "cultures" and both have their place.

From a "site advancement" point of view, amalgamating the challenges would seem to be a very good idea, surely in this respect, in terms of number of entries, audience and voters, it would be better to just have the one, i guess it just depends on what your wanting at the end of the day.
Now, i may be speaking out of school here, but realistically, a complete conjoining of the both sites would be ultimately benificial, once again, in terms of numbers and administrative logistics. After all, what is the difference between the two, they are both the same to a grreat extent, in content and purpose, and it does seem a little pointless to be running both. However, im not sure on what basis and terms Joom and Glenn have in place with regards to the administration and direction of both sites, so my observations may be completely null and void.

As i said, im just rambling on for the most part, so please feel free to shut the truk up at any time 

Love, nine  ;) :D :D :D

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »
Hmmmm......  It is an interesting idea but no offense I not sold on the idea.  Glenn's site is good he has some neat little perks in their but TTM is my KAE now my little home.  Combining the challenge would not inspire me more and the numbers up to would be minimal from what I see.

Challenge participants has always fluxed up and down and the only thing that makes it look bad is us constantly stating the obvious it very well could be are own undoing after all to the outside these guys are Jones'n desperate for this or that not sure that's what.  New parties looking into our real estate to them this would not be what they want  to  see.....  Then again I most likely am the worst here. My apologies

9 has it right on the promo side and I try my best to promote outside of here.  I know when I search music forums and band sites I don't come across GMH or ttm maybe that's page 96 of the search? I don't know.  As for combining sites...  Did I read that right? I'm not game on that either two different concepts I think and a combo would have part of the original design Anyway  it's nice to have a choice. 

I know one way or another good things are coming Y'all just have to wait on the coffee cups............   It's in the works.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:38:03 PM by agradeleous »

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 01:47:32 PM »
At one time the Memphis City Schools were I'm guessing better than the Shelby County Schools? The city schools wanted to remain separate and on a few occasions rejected the merging the two. To make a long story short the city schools went into the toilet in many ways. They dissolved their charter, and wanted to become (became) part of the county schools which had Excelled. The suburbs (county schools) said heck no we'll go independent, and they are going that way.
    This probably has little bearing on the two sites in question merging their challenge(s), but if what 9 says is true lol The sun is shining today  ;D Being a slacker  :D I hardly participate in many of the challenges so .......................  :-X

Offline gc

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 03:34:49 PM »
My $.02 usd on merging the Challenges.  The initial challenge concept came over from KAE, where a few of the members here were involved from inception.  Initially it was a 'lets see what you can do with KAE as a DAW', I believe.  As KAE turned 'abandonware' with the development of Studio One + the spammers ruled, JOOM offered up TTM as a new home just to keep things rolling.  The folks at KAE agreed to accept the offer of relocation & here we are.

TTM & GMH are similar in design but differ quite a bit in what I'll call 'ambiance'.  I am a member at GMH, but I do not spend a lot of time there.  That is no reflection on Glenn & Maureen & all that they have done & continue to accomplish at their wonderful site.  That's just a personal choice based on personal quirks & appeal.  GMH is great & G&M continue to do great things there & are building with a future in mind, and my compliments to them.  The site is more growth oriented than TTM.  Not a bad thing...just a thing.

TTM is, perhaps, more 'slacker' oriented.  I prefer the word casual, but that's a matter of semantics.  I like the no pressure, easy going atmosphere.  I came here from KAE because I liked the people.  I stayed because of that too.  I like a place where it's a bit quiet, we all know perhaps a bit too much about each other, we mostly get along & appreciate each other for what contributions we make.  I just want a place to play a bit, talk about instruments & recording & what irks us.  Some ahole came thru here a while back & called us a 'mens club'.  Kinda.  But more like a family, with all of the good & bad baggage that goes along with family.  Pseudo-dysfunctional at times.

Which brings me back to point:  the challenge merger.  IMHO...other than providing the site space to accommodate whatever challenge is happening, I really don't think that it should be loaded onto JOOM or G&M to make the decision whether to merge or not.  Members started this at KAE...members should decide for themselves what they want to do in this case. Take a POLL (remember the KAE POLLS?  I do.  Man...).  I don't enter many challenges.  I do enjoy the process however.  They always make me think & always make me listen.  I do not care if there are one or twenty entries.  As far as I am concerned, leave well enough alone.  If interest is lost it will resolve itself by morphing into something else, migrating or ceasing (and a whole long list of other possibilities).

These folks were nice enough to let us play here (and there).  Don't make them carry the burden of choice regarding a merger.  That's not fair to them.  That one's on us.

g
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:00:13 PM by gc »

Offline Gazebo

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 04:04:48 PM »
+1 to what GC said.

Personally I am not in favour of a merger (though I think I may have suggested something similar myself a while ago).

The sites are very different - GMH has the music radio shows (wouldn't it be great if they were podcasts?), whilst here we just do our own things and talk about coffee.

They both provide outlets but have a different purpose (IMHO).

Vive la difference!
Member of the Talkbass Mediocre Bassists Club #708.

Offline onetrackmind

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 04:42:44 PM »
I didn't realise we were talking full on merger of the two sites. I thought we were nearing touching base on the feasibility of combining the two challenges into one.

Just out of interest I wonder if there is any correlation between the number of entries each site gets (eg which months GHcafe gets more entries than TTM (and vice versa)). What the two themes were each month etc.

Maybe we are diluting the beer with lemonade by having two challenges run side by side. Perhaps if we combined the two we could make a stronger brew??

For the record I'm happy to stay as it is or for the challenges to merge. I greatly appreciate the time and work the guys who run these sites put in to make them successful, engaging and a great place to hang out and that.

The other thing (which folk may or may not of thought of) is that if we took a step back and thought of all our personal entries of past 3 years, then there's maybe 2 or even 3 albums worth of material we've come up with individually. Now that's impressive. What artist/singer/band can knock up that kind of monumental output (ignoring rhianna)?

So maybe creative juices aren't there as much as we're all running out of songs, chords, ideas?  I'm sure were not but I hope u see my point. It's quite hard to maintain songwriting over such a period of time and artists are known to have time off between tours or albums.

So maybe we shouldn't be so hard on ourselves and take the number of entries to these challenges as they are. Some months will be a low turn out while others will benefit from an injection of interest for whatever reason (challenge theme, time of the year, or shear luck).

Ramble over.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:31:48 PM by onetrackmind »

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 05:19:14 PM »
Full on merger is just comment from 9 which I followed on . The main focus is the challenge combining .
All goods points above and I wish I could talk/type/speak  like you pro's do so anything I say I hope you understand by now you should LMAO ..

There was very little turn out on GMH for challenge songs just like here if we added up the total between the sites this month and past the few we have a count of 8 vrs the 4 between each but hey wait ! we all crossed over for the GMH that would mean if we tagged up we'd have um ......... 8 no no no 4! yeah 4 ! wait make that 5 plus 1 for Master Glenn :)

If anything I can understand the desire to make things easier but myself I always go the hard way it's in the DNA and destiny ... Curse you DESTINY !...

Lastly you all should I don't pull no punch's and tell no lies ... I say it like it is.   I respect and I am also jealous of both TTM and GMH folks for having the know how to make it all work like they do so you have and always will have my appreciation and respect .

So  POLL ! ............ I'll start ................ I vote Nay .

Love and hugs and coffee to all :)  ;D

Offline way2lon

• Coverall
  • TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 05:24:12 PM »
My point for starting this thread was because the same people seem to enter both challenges (NOT SITES). I was just wanting to see if we could not increase the number of entrants by having only one challenge. Yes! it's good to have two 'different' music sites to visit and mosy around and I am not interested in any 'site merger' but I do want to keep progressing my ability by entering a songwriting challenge each month and, FOR ME, trying to write more than one song (and produce it) will reduce my learning curve.
So, FOR ME, if there is to be no joining of the songwriting challenge, I will have to choose which to enter by what challenge is set and swap around each month.
From what I read in the lead up to end products is that most people find it difficult enough to finish a song in tome for the deadline. I don't see how they could possibly manage two. Hence the question (WITH BOTH JOOM'S AND GLENN'S BLESSING). Do you want just one challenge or are you happy to carry on with two?
Shall I post the last question for a poll or do Joom or Glenn want to do that in respective sites?

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 05:59:08 PM »
Shall I post the last question for a poll or do Joom or Glenn want to do that in respective sites?

Go ahead, W, I'm just watching...
A computer once beat me at chess - but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline whitestrat73

• Tea/coffee maker
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 06:03:22 PM »
Personally, I see the two challenges as separate entities.
I know there are communal members to both, which is quite natural, since one forum came out of the other.
I, again personally, don't visit GMH very often. Just one of those things, I guess. I am a member of only 3 forums, on the Internet. Each has no relation with the other, completely different themes. I'm happy with that., and have the time to spare, just....
So, although I hear about the GMH challenge, each month, I rarely feel 'the urge' to enter. No reason, other than I can't always spare the time for one, let alone two... I wouldn't want to commit myself to something I can't give my all to......

I feel, that the TTM ODC has quite a history, going way back through to the Krystal days. Although I didn't post much there, I entered and read posts pretty much every day. I watched members rally round to support many situations. I also watched many of the members grow musically, and their recording/mixing capabilities grow.
Watching GMH grow has been a very pleasurable experience, too. The vibe there is unique. I can see it growing, for years to come.
But, I honestly believe that the number of entries to each of the challenges is no reason, in my mind, to join them together.
So, here is a suggestion.
Why not just bring the GMH challenge over here!
Yeah, yeah, yeah!
'Plug it in turn it up and play it 'til something breaks!' - Joe Walsh

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
Way2 I see your point and I'm probably getting mental darts thrown at my head . but if a shared challenge is wanted then the Open daw challenge is it unless we need a name change ... were all or most KAE members as GC reminded us though not those words ...  Luv you bud :)

But I'm at a loss if one challenge should be wanted then it becomes hard for me to chose GMH or TTM  ... I hear ya ... NO NO NO that's not what I am saying ... yes I understand but yet there it is !  if not a new challenge name and not choosing one site or the other I don 't see the point in any of this because all is needed for everyone to just enter a song at the destination ... . The challenge home.

My destination is going to be mainly TTM but yet I'm going to wan't to post at GMH and vise'a versa why because not all come here why because not all here go there. So we all will be bi -posting anyway.
So to share a challenge will mean "to me" work at both sites regardless but only having one song to write which for some is great heck maybe all ... I don't mind when I'm on top of my game , the challenge of writing 2 songs . have I done it yet .. No LOL but I've been a real A$$ of late and just starting to feel musical better not the A$$ part Bwahahahaha   

I like the W73 maybe just come here or just use the ODC it is and has always been open  ! But in this case I do feel I will not want to keep tabs on GMH for the challenge itself and it will mean less activity there from me since mainly beside saying hello and leaving , the challenge when I do enter is my only topic of interest to date ... always subject to change my friend :)

Help me and my small mind ......... Questions ..... 1) will it be the ODC supported at both sites or something other ?

2) Will the folks here be willing/wanting to log into GMH  to repost the same for support from GMH or is there a new group of folks going to handle that job by some means of hyper linking or by having a new stand alone page called ...... Something challenge ?

3)How will the info and threads seamlessly cross the musicverse ?

Sorry again I don't mean to start fires but the question is lacking a lot of detail and for me that's everything . kind of like asking me if I would prefer multiple clones over my endless life time or just a single re-lifing  after anytime  my single life body died.  Hmmm benefits to both ? which one which one which one ............

Yaaaaaaaay I'm confused  ;D

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 07:07:02 PM by agradeleous »

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 07:12:59 PM »
I like Coffee  ;D , and yall  :-*

Offline DinoWodini

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 08:57:29 PM »
I am happy the way it is at present.  I don't actually hit GMH as often as other but I do go there once every two weeks.  That's a guess. 

I have been a TTM'r for a long time and in fact have been logged on to TTM for 28d 5h 45m of real time.  That's a lot less than some other TTM'rs but its a long time.  I am not as familiar with the GMH site as others but it is expansive and there is lots happening - as well as the GMH Caf

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 09:19:55 PM »
I have been a TTM'r for a long time and in fact have been logged on to TTM for 28d 5h 45m of real time.

That made me have to go look.  99 days, 20 hours, and 48 minutes.  Apparently I mistakenly deleted my cookie 99 days ago...

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 09:20:30 PM »
Apparently I mistakenly deleted my cookie 99 days ago...

And no S and 9, that's not meant to be an opening...  :P

Offline Schprocket

• Plays lead gill for The Mighty Hellfish and is also
  • TTM Veteran
  • Does Android dream of electric sheep?
    • View Profile
    • This is my home-away-from-home
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 01:19:34 AM »
The opening is in Dino's hot-pants, J-man... I mean he's supposed to be wearing them.. I mean.. well... yeah...

.. and Ags has self-diagnosed himself as being bi-postual, I see.... :)

I understand the reasoning behind the question and a common quest for each site would seem to make for getting the numbers of particpants up as suggested.

Although I don't feel I qualify to provide an opinion, given my anti-plethora of entries to date, if it could be managed easily, then my initial response is "I don't see why not".

The only logistical thing is the requirement for cross-posting voting and results in each forum, and possibly to a lesser degree the relevant links to the Bandroom as people complete their entry.

As I see it, to be able to do this easily without any loss of information or any duplication, it would require something along the lines of having to enter a "real" competition (for want of a better phrase) which would be hosted on an entirely separate site.

And in either event, jointly or separately hosted,  it would require dedicated administrators because it's a challenge system, which at the moment only requires the winner to determine the next challenge and some poor sod a volunteer tallies the results.

Weighing it all up, it seems a great idea but needs lot of more effort to manage and in that respect, it's not much more gain.

You've been a wonderful audience.

Thank You.
...they discovered only a small asteroid inhabited by a solitary old man who claimed repeatedly that nothing was true, though he was later discovered to be lying.

Offline Combobob

• Producer
    • View Profile
    • Combobob.com
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 05:16:01 AM »
Well, I have read all of the posts above and the consensus seems to me that things are fine as they are. Entries in our challenge will fluctuate but I have never felt that the point was the number of entries but a chance for each individual to challenge themselves in the terms of the subject and the time limit.
I am not a member of, or visitor to GMH Cafe so I can't speak about what the situation is over there but I vote to not combine the challenges.
If anything I should post the links over at the old KAE site more often to pick up the few new members over there.
At the end of the day folks will participate in whatever sparks their interest I guess.
 :)
Win 7, SB Audigy 2 Platinum, KX3551, Studio One 2, Soundforge8, 1975 Fender Jazz, Yamaha RBX270J Custom Fretless, Tanglewood TW170 Acoustic...

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 05:50:18 AM »
I need to pay a visit to the old home its been a while :(

Offline way2lon

• Coverall
  • TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 07:46:52 AM »
Seems to me then that the consensus is to leave things as they are. I'm gonna have to get of my fat backside and get more creative to enter both challenges. Still, I'm almost there with this months GMH challenge so, more time here I suppose.
Country is one of my favourite genres so it should prove easy (NOT)  ???

Offline Jahva

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 08:20:54 AM »
W2L,
Look on the bright side you can pick and choose between the 2 every month. And if time permits or you get energized/motivated you can enter both.
Playin' the mind guerrilla Chantin' the mantra, peace on earth

JL