Community Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 07:43:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Literature, books, reading  (Read 840 times)

Offline Spiral

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Spiral's music
Literature, books, reading
« on: August 17, 2013, 04:30:26 PM »
Hiyall!

I thought I'd open a thread for people to tell us what they've been reading and give/ask for recommendations. Fact and fiction.
So, what you have been reading, anything you'd like to recommend (from your recent or past readings), what topics interest you?

I would like to read about history of the USA. Do any of you know good books that would cover "the big stories" from colonial times to modern times? Kindle versions preferred.

Offline Schprocket

• Plays lead gill for The Mighty Hellfish and is also
  • TTM Veteran
  • Does Android dream of electric sheep?
    • View Profile
    • This is my home-away-from-home
    • Youtube's channel
Re: Literature, books, reading
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 07:05:32 PM »
Currently about 3/4 of the way through The Science of Discworld - Book 1 by Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart & Jack Cohen.

Kind of the same theme as What Science Knows by James Franklin but more readily digestible for non-academics such as myself and discusses the over-simplification of scientific principles and how what we think we know as the general public about "absolute truths" is not exactly how things work :)

Most of the Discworld stuff is available on the Google Play Store, so I'd imagine Amazon would have the series too.

The Discworld series itself is based on a fantasy-like realm but it has strong analogies with Roundworld :) and half the fun is tripping over the parodies and word-plays, for example, the Wizards are the professors of Discworld and the Unseen University has a calculating machine called HEX - a hex is of course a spell but hex is also a common short-form of hexadecimal. If you like that sort of thing, the books are worth a read. DEATH will probably be your favourite character... I'll leave you to find out why - recommended read in this respec,t The Hogfather :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:13:00 PM by Schprocket »
...they discovered only a small asteroid inhabited by a solitary old man who claimed repeatedly that nothing was true, though he was later discovered to be lying.

Offline 9

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 11:40:31 PM »
hmmmm, americana history you say,
from colonial times to modern times, you say
cover "the big stories", you demand
with truth a plenty, you say
and no sanitised bullshit, you envision
just the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, is what your cranial cavity craves

well, here ya go!

says it all really

what, you expected anything else from me, .......No, ......DONT ANSWER THAT :D :D ;D

Offline gc

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 12:39:31 AM »
Spiral,

If you are interested in US History regarding our involvement in Vietnam, I just finished reading (for something like the 8th time since it was 1st printed) what I consider to be one of the best, most concise books eve written about what got us there & what the feel of the time was: A Bright Shining Lie, by Neil Sheehan.  Big book but a fast & interesting read if you are a history buff.

A bit different, one that I'm reading now:  Physics of the Future  How Science Will Shape Human Destiny And Our Daily Lives By The Year 2100, by Michio Kaku.  Some wild stuff about computers, artificial intelligence , nanotechnology... optimism about the future.

I'll scrounge up some USA history titles & pass them along.  I read a lot & love history.

g

Offline Spiral

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Spiral's music
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 02:24:38 AM »
A Bright Shining Lie, by Neil Sheehan.

That looks interesting, thanks!
I'll scrounge up some USA history titles & pass them along.  I read a lot & love history.

Please do!

Offline Schprocket

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 06:58:38 AM »
Sounds good GC, will keep an eye out for that one myself :)

@Mung, those crazy South Park boys, huh? That's from "Bowling for Columbine", isn't it? :)
...they discovered only a small asteroid inhabited by a solitary old man who claimed repeatedly that nothing was true, though he was later discovered to be lying.

Offline 9

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 07:43:59 AM »
BFC, i think so Sprok, though ive never seen it, .....just thought id help a busy Finn free up more time for his music, with the edited highlights version .....no no, dont thank me Spiz

You would really think i would have learned not to be anything but serious in such a serious Spiz thread, wouldnt you, ......work in progress....not yet though! :D :D
After all, lifes pretty straight without twisties
Now, back to the scheduled programming

Offline Schprocket

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 08:13:48 AM »
Mung, Mung, Mung... how many times have I told all three of you... Include.Your.References.

Add a reference and you're on your way to a white paper to match the coat....

Twisties

Note: The image below has been reproduced from Wikipedia for educational purposes

See? Pseudo-intelligentsia at it's best :)

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »
Chicken flavored ??? Yikes !

Spiral how about ...... The untold Indian story of Custer's last stand ... titled  "Little big horn " By Herman J . Viola

[Edit] Emphasised the book and author for those like me who want to follow this up

Full title Little Bighorn Remembered: The Untold Indian Story of Custer's Last Stand
 - S

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:29:48 AM by Schprocket »

Offline 9

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 12:23:31 PM »
... Include.Your.References.

um, sir Mr headmaster sir, .... i hate to point it out to you sir, ....but, .........those references of yours, ........seem a little outdated, ............10/8/06 ??

Hang on, you must have brought them at one of those Nahasapeemapetilon service stations
 :o ;D

marvelous how a good post turns to shit when the boyz from oz get involved, aye mate
;)

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 12:57:41 PM »
Maybe so 9 but you have to say the granite counter top sure does look nice  ;D

Offline Schprocket

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 05:17:52 AM »
um, sir Mr headmaster sir, .... i hate to point it out to you sir, ....but, .........those references of yours, ........seem a little outdated, ............10/8/06 ??

Hang on, you must have brought them at one of those Nahasapeemapetilon service stations
 :o ;D

marvelous how a good post turns to shit when the boyz from oz get involved, aye mate
;)

Information is only outdated when some further truth is uncovered... and soe sayeth Thee Schprocke becauseth He sayeth soe... :)

... not really, Mung, every court needs it's Jesters... TTM just happens to have two too many... I can switch back to serious mode and in fact have bought a book on US history as a result and so far it proves that indeed all Pommies - as far as the rich ones go - are bastards...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:22:08 AM by Schprocket »

Offline whitestrat73

• Tea/coffee maker
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 06:23:08 AM »
Well, that counts me out........

Relief............

:P :P :P
Yeah, yeah, yeah!
'Plug it in turn it up and play it 'til something breaks!' - Joe Walsh

Offline Schprocket

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 06:39:28 AM »
Well, that counts me out........

Relief............

:P :P :P

As far as being a jester or a pommy bastard, WS - or both? LOL!!!

It's ok though, a Pommy B is as much a term of endearment as it can be deregatory - depends on how much venom is spat as it's being said :) as an immigrant who's more Aussie (45 years) than Pom (6 years), you get to know the difference :)

Offline Spiral

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Spiral's music
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 07:10:05 AM »

Who let Mung loose?
Come on now, who did it? It's you own time you're wasting... If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!