Community Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2017, 04:28:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XP holdout  (Read 796 times)

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
XP holdout
« on: June 18, 2013, 09:40:10 AM »
While most folks have gravitated to the newer Windows products, for recording, I'm staying put.

April 8th 2014 will be on us soon, and my theory is to clone my machine(s) (hard drives) and keep recording with them anyway.

The old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. It took me years to learn how to get stuff done with them. One mans trash is another mans treasure, I had to wait a long time for everyone to get rid of their old Creative hardware.  :P

Constantly tweaking everything and then nothing.

Offline neilmac

• Producer
    • View Profile
    • My page at Reverbnation
Re: XP holdout
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 12:59:46 PM »
They'll have to pry XP out of my cold dead fingers :P

One day they'll drag me kicking and screaming away from it...but not yet  8)

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
  • I am, it's what I do...
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 05:53:43 PM »
I still have 2 systems running XP, but everything else has 7 now.  But, I'm in a position where I kind of have to keep up with current tech for support reasons.

8, on the other hand, will have to fend for itself.  Touch screen?  Right!  Touch this, Microsoft...  ;)
A computer once beat me at chess - but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 01:54:48 AM »
I hear Ya Neil  ;D They shouldn't have made such a good batch of software or hardware, to go with XP. I only needed to go so far to get near pro quality sound everything else is overkill. Not having PCIe slots anywhere is the only reason I'm not running 7 somewhere Joom. Funny they don't make a standard pci video card driver that I know of. These wide screen monitors are useless without a driver. The mix machine has a nice dual monitor card. My computer is a Hooptie  :P

Offline 9

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 02:31:35 PM »
Ditto Frank, the only reason i moved to 7 was that my daughters gay friend, being a technophile, just HAD to have 8, and offered me his old original 7 disks for free, claiming it to be .........wait for it .............. OLD HAT!!  :D :D :D :D :D , anyway, after i finished piddling myself laughing at that piece of 18 YO male logic, and briefly attempting to set the young lad on a path to nostalgic enlightenment [ i think i got 2 sentences out before he had that glazed look and proceeded to fiddle with his latest mobile phone] I GAVE UP! ::) .....Kids and their bling!

7 is generally OK IMO, but ive had a few older programs spit the dummy under it [despite the "pretend" compatability mode that MS has provided ]. Also administrator/user permissions are an absolute nightmare compared to XP, and my network drive system i use for my setup wont log themselves back on at startup and must be done manually every reboot [none of the " workarounds" fix the problem] also i have to provide passwords when attempting to talk to the 7 PCs from my 2 remaining XP PCs [scripts with the " persistance" switch dont work]

I have just disabled all the bells and whistles and for all intent and purposes 7 is XP for me, so i'll put up with above BS and relearn everything AGAIN!

Offline 9

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 02:38:08 PM »
Frank, whats the benefit of cloning the drives?, im not following you on that one, .....just curious.

the XP lack of support problem wouldnt be an issue if your not using it as an internet PC anyways would it.

Offline Schprocket

• Plays lead gill for The Mighty Hellfish and is also
  • TTM Veteran
  • Does Android dream of electric sheep?
    • View Profile
    • This is my home-away-from-home
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 07:38:41 PM »
Pfffft... luddites.....  next thing you'll complain about is dem noo-fangled wireless teleophones....
"It's not safe to make a call without copper, I tellzya!!!"     ;D

Mung, if you can clone the XP machine as it is, then run that full hard drive copy in virtualisation software, such as as VirtualBox, VMWare, or similar, then you'll in theory never leave XP behind.

The reality is that if you don't get the steps done right, you'll end up like I did on this laptop, where I cloned the Windows 8 partition before determining and checking that I could successfully convert it and run it :) , then installed Ubuntu 13.04.

If you're ever used DOSBOX to play old DOS games on an XP-based PC, used the Compatibility tab in Windows (Vista and above?), or used WINE in Linux, you've used an emulation system which is a run-time version of a virtual machine. The difference is that instead of setting up an environment on a per program basis, a virtual machine is a fully operational "guest" operating system running on a host.
As long as you have all of the snappy drivers for the host system, the VM software makes the necessary software connections without having to endlessly tweak drivers.

Down-side, you take a performance hit, up-side, you keep your old operating system and if the VM is running on a new PC, then the VM won't be any worse than you were used to on the old system. The only things that I haven't tested is games since these tend to be resource heavy and rely on direct calls to the GPU which you don't get with the VM, and for the same reason I probably wouldn't recommend doing any video work but that's only inferred from the gaming angle; the reality might be better.

To test it out (non-detailed brief overview), install VirtualBox on one of your Windows 7 boxes, select whatever OS you want to run, have the OS install disk handy in the CD/DVD drive, and when the VM boots up (if in windowed mode this is better because you can then be assured that you aren't over-writing your actual PC's OS!) you will see the OS progressing through its installation process.... now I have to bugger off and do some work... you'll get the idea, mate ;)
...they discovered only a small asteroid inhabited by a solitary old man who claimed repeatedly that nothing was true, though he was later discovered to be lying.

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 10:20:09 AM »
Physically copying the hard drives is a not without bugs, but it has worked for me. The best foolproof solution is to actually a new install on a physically separate drive. This includes updates as well as all software. Then disconnect it.   Some of the software I use requires , c++'s, runtime's stuff, net framework stuff I really don't understand. I am afraid these wont be around to download. That sort of thing. If your running a laptop changing HD's could be a whole different headache. I'm just too comfortable with my gear/software, and did I mention cheap  :P http://stores.ebay.com/goHardDrive-Wholesale-and-Retail

Offline whitestrat73

• Tea/coffee maker
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 11:13:49 AM »
So, tell me, will my XP box, which is not on the interweb, was built for music, and seems to work fine (thanks to TTM's Joom help, fixing it the other week), commit suicide when M$ stops supporting it?
 ::)

If not, looks like it's in for the duration......  8)
Yeah, yeah, yeah!
'Plug it in turn it up and play it 'til something breaks!' - Joe Walsh

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
  • I am, it's what I do...
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 11:38:39 AM »
So, tell me, will my XP box, which is not on the interweb, was built for music, and seems to work fine (thanks to TTM's Joom help, fixing it the other week), commit suicide when M$ stops supporting it?
 ::)

If not, looks like it's in for the duration......  8)

If you're not on the net with it, White, you're not getting updates anyway.  Nothing will change with it.  And even if you were on the net and getting updates, it just means those updates would stop, but not your computer...
A computer once beat me at chess - but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 02:13:51 PM »
Hard drives never fail  8)

Offline whitestrat73

• Tea/coffee maker
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 05:46:08 PM »
Yeah, right, Frank............. ???
Yeah, yeah, yeah!

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 06:40:39 PM »
LOL :P

Offline whitestrat73

• Tea/coffee maker
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 06:41:14 PM »
 :P
Yeah, yeah, yeah!