Community Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 23, 2020, 08:56:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NFD (new flute day)  (Read 992 times)

Offline HarmonicEarth

• Producer
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
NFD (new flute day)
« on: February 19, 2013, 10:06:46 AM »
Greetings,

I thought I'd share some photos and a sound sample of a new flute I bought about a week ago. It is called a "sister" flute, because of the two chambers? I'm not sure why. But it does have two chambers. A holed chamber that you actually play, and a "drone" chamber that provides a harmony to the played side. It is made of Poplar wood and the bird is Poplar also. It is in the key of F#. The sound sample starts with just the played side, and then I add the drone.

enjoy

Offline neilmac

• Producer
    • View Profile
    • My page at Reverbnation
Re: NFD (new flute day)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 12:28:39 PM »
Very nice!
Beautiful instrument :)
Loving the drone......

Offline HarmonicEarth

• Producer
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 04:39:56 AM »
Thanks neilmac for taking the time to look, listen, and comment.

I guess if I had bought a guitar then maybe a few others might have taken the time to enjoy...LOL :o

Offline Jahva

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 07:44:26 AM »
HE,

Sorry Bro I've been caught up these days in that dang blasted thing called life! ;D

I did listen the other day while working on that project for my daughter. Just didn't get around to posting anything. Was a bit torn and freyed that evening. :o

First off it's a beautiful instrument just to look at. I want one! Even if it's just to look at.  8)  And it sounds awesome.
I played it for my daughter and some of your videos as well. I told her how you make some by hand as we sawed and sanded away. You added a nice element to what we were doing at the time. Very cool! As for the piece itself I enjoyed it. Just a short sample but the tone is beautiful! Kind of a blend of Native American but for some reason I hear almost Japanese in the style. They are probably similar scales I'm guessing.
Thanks for sharing.
Playin' the mind guerrilla Chantin' the mantra, peace on earth

JL

Offline neilmac

• Producer
    • View Profile
    • My page at Reverbnation
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 01:29:34 PM »
Funny you should say that about the Japanese element Jahva....whenever I listen to HE's stuff on the flute (and other native american flute pieces....) I hear Scottish traditional flavours, particulary gaelic and bagpipe stuff :)

Could it be due to the lack of "classical music" influences??
Is this the true "music of the people"?

Offline Glenn

• Producer
  • "artist formerly known as Jim50 " ... lol :)
    • View Profile
    • gmhCafe
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 02:53:15 PM »
As I mentioned over at gmhCafe, I think the new flute sounds fantastic.  The added drone give such an added depth and fullness to that flute.

beautiful!

I would think we'll be hearing some of this flute in an upcoming CD HE?

;D

The 'pentatonic' scale is a very ...very old scale... and many cultures use it as a 'foundation' for their music.

Perhaps it's in our 'genes' .... many people feel a certain peace when hearing this scale.. perhaps a throw back to 'ancient' times.   8)

8)

Art is a painting for the eyes, Music is a painting for the ears.

visit:   gmhCafe Radio - get your music heard!
www.gmhCafe.ca