Community Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 23, 2020, 09:21:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Falling Tune-o-matic Bridge  (Read 1544 times)

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
Falling Tune-o-matic Bridge
« on: January 15, 2013, 08:55:26 PM »
First time I ever saw this on a guitar. This is probably more common on String-thru-body guitars such as the Dean Vendetta. Why the string-thru-body? They eliminated a part , yep the tailpiece. Cheaper all the time. The angle the center most strings ride over the bridge makes for more tension in the center of the bridge on the Vendetta. The cheap bridge bowed inward. That's right no arch but concave lol. ..... My 15 cent repair ........So after a little bending back to shape of radious put 3 nickels or what ever change needed to keep the center from falling again. Don't laugh this little fix increased the sustain of the guitar like you wouldn't believe.
     While searching for a replacement bridge online I came across someone selling a flat piece of brass for $8 to put under your bridge to increase sustain (held in place by a spring) What a bunch of BS.
      I don't recommend the nickel trick on a fine Gibson, but a $120.Vendetta. Why not ? Gonna put some change under the other Vendettas bridge before it falls. I used a bit of Scotch tape to hold the nickels together and fill in the slack.

I wouldn't say this if I didn't have two guitars just alike, and could really hear the longer sustain in the one with the nickels.  :P
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 10:18:18 PM by frankenxtein »
Constantly tweaking everything and then nothing.

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Falling Tune-o-matic Bridge
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 05:53:11 AM »
Awesome lol .... My old Ibanez has a big brass sustain block under the bridge or should I say the bridge is mounted to it and it and it is recessed into to body .

Offline whitestrat73

• Tea/coffee maker
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 08:39:01 AM »
Sounds like a neat fix, Fx. Increases the value of the axe by a few cents too, kewl....  ;)
Yeah, yeah, yeah!
'Plug it in turn it up and play it 'til something breaks!' - Joe Walsh

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 11:32:01 AM »
I was agonizing over a new bridge and adding a tailpiece to it, to relieve the tension.

Trick for this one is to hold up the center, never thought of it as a mod.  :o

These Vendettas are decent guitars except for this flaw, and if you tend to be heavy palm player like me? Put some change under the bridge.

The action on the Brown one is a little higher took 4 nickels.  :P

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 12:19:44 PM »
So is it just a el cheapo bridge ? Come to think about it my black Ibanez has that set up but  no isuses .... Now you got me thinking ..... Lol what's it made of. Lead ? Haha just poking but it would have to be soft . Look you have everything caught up so just carve A new one out ;) that be kewl fun .  8)

Offline neilmac

• Producer
    • View Profile
    • My page at Reverbnation
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 01:02:24 PM »

The action on the Brown one is a little higher took 4 nickels.  :P

i guess that ones worth more then :P

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 01:40:11 PM »
Paid more for the Brown one but, the $89.Black one has the .01uF Paper/Oil capacitor. lol Probably gonna raise the action on that one a nickel too, on payday. lol Next time your looking at guitars, be sure to see there's a radius on the bridge lol ............. Guitar Center here sure has some bargains for fools like me. I ordered the Brown one online from their child ... Musicians Friend no tax.

Offline neilmac

• Producer
    • View Profile
    • My page at Reverbnation
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 02:19:25 PM »
LMFAO@payday :P

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »
So is it just a el cheapo bridge ? Come to think about it my black Ibanez has that set up but  no isuses .... Now you got me thinking ..... Lol what's it made of. Lead ? Haha just poking but it would have to be soft . Look you have everything caught up so just carve A new one out ;) that be kewl fun .  8)
Lets say I wouldn't be surprised if some high end guitars bridges are made of Pot Metal That's why I considered adding a tailpiece. Some Pot metal (Zinc Alloy) is better than others. The cough cough ... engineer that decided they could save money with this design added to the cost, by creating a strong downward stress on the bridge. Thus requiring a higher quality casting of the part.
     The  bridge on the brown one was fine, but

Dean has sent me a check for $0.73 , to cover parts and labor, with instructions on how to configure the coins (US currency was specified) along with a letter of apology stating, the person that made that batch of bridges was forced to sell a kidney to recover cost, and Noted some of the brown ones had lumpy frets. 

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 02:43:36 PM »
 :( actually ..... The folks in China that make things we buy have it pretty tough. Last Train Home

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 02:45:10 PM »
Haha ....yup my old Ibanez .... Pot metal had it 24k plated ... What a dumb ass had I known .

Edit ; just got done setting up the bass . Knew the intonation was off so dig in .. Oops neck needs adjust action like over head power lines ,
       OK done .. wait something rattling ? ... Tuners all lose , tighten .  work on intonation almost ran out of adjustment  and the bridge slides are a 1/16 from falling of the lock down bolts LOL adjustments in the saddles about 5/16 of an inch on all  :o
        K so Intonation set ... WOW I can do a good job LOL  ok so action s good intone is good complete new sound .. but wait what s that ? I take a piece of paper and it slides in between it and the neck bolts Crap ok unbolt reset done alls good .
       Opps forgot the lopsided pickup ..... unbolt losen strings yank it out the hole expecting to find springs under the pick up screws ... none but there is a piece of block foam about 1/2 inch wide the pick is a humbucker what 2 1/2 ? just guessing . The foam block is all the way the bridge side and glued with gorilla glue so tore some of it but that won't do it it needs sprigs so I'm on the hunt for some cheap pens LOL 
        Over all she a heck of lot better for a rogue but I am keeping an eye open for something better at least neck wise this one is to flat no curvature which make all the difference for what I like . :)   
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 06:51:19 PM by agradeleous »

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 11:56:15 PM »
Just because it's cast metal don't mean it's all bad. Higher end aftermarket bridges start at about $45. They are cast metal too. This flaw in design has a use now hahaha Extra tension on the bridge, is a good thing for the .25 cent poorboy sustain block. I added a dime to the Black one now it's just right. It really added to the sound of the guitar feels more expensive  :P