Community Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2020, 12:07:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Acoustic guitar Talk  (Read 1556 times)

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
Acoustic guitar Talk
« on: January 03, 2013, 08:49:11 PM »
Feel free to talk about Acoustic guitars .

I Took my new Master built down to Guitar center for set up and while my son was running around the shop and the employees chasing him around as he touched everything ... it was really funny when he got his hands on the Yamaha something motif 18 full sized key board and set of the built in drums hahahaha

ok so like everything .....  everything is by ear right?  yes I mean sound . I believe after this visit to the vault that anyone going to buy a new guitar do it in the way all masters and wisemanwoman  have said to us over the years .

It must sing to you and you will know it when it happens er.... something along those lines . It is true though and your ears will tell you what sounds great to to you.

I do have something to add and most likely no one would do it but I might have a victim to test it on  ;D it simply blind folding them and handing a guitar to them let play right down the response move on till you find the one.

Alright so what's this about you ask . Well once in the vault with the boy happily playing  videos on my phone and the employees smiling in relief and panting hard catching there breath from the baby sitting hehehehe

I had the time to really play some of the acoustics on the wall . I did not play any Taylor's just could not bring myself  to touch one this time and not because so many think there the holy grail of guitars but I don't like them at least the mid level models up to 2,000 bucks.

Here's what I played

Martian 000ce ..... something LOL I know but if I have to I can find out ...... Price 1,600

Martian D-28 Dread ............                                           ..........  Price 2,400

Breedlove   can't remember model but cut a way and electric .......... price 1,500

Breedlove   "         "         "      "             "        "            "     "    .......... Price 2,400

Gibson mocken bird .....                                                    ........... Price 2,300

Gibson dove ....                                                               ........... Price 2,500

Takamini jumbo , sikta top maple laminate B&S               .......... Price 700.

The Epiphone master built DR 500                                   ........... Price 700

Now there was a bunch I have tried before and no need to compare them this trip.
All are solid woods except the Takamine

I not an expert so I'm shade treeing this !

Ok so lets first start by throwing the Takamine right out !

The Martin OOO  .... Had nice smooth well balanced tones and good harmonics and real good projection . Neck was nice and comfortable to play.  I give it an A   

Martian D-28 ... this is brag model by the masses what gives ? sound was good , smooth bu dull compared to the 000 ... harmonics were ok had to work it to get some out , again not as good as the OOO good projection . Neck was so so blocky feel to it and for the price it gets an F!

Breedlove first one 1,500 ....  Hmmm ... everything is as it should be  played well sounded great Harmonics were spot on . great lows very defined highs were bright airy with no twang ! unlike some other guitars with the highs twanging out . Neck was nice smooth easy and comfortable to a point a tad blocky but just a tad . 

Breedlove  2 Hmmm very close so A LOL

Gibson Mockenbird .......   Lets throw this one right out to ! another OMG guitar by the masses ... I give this an F ! a 2,300 hundred dollar F

Gibson Dove ..... now were talking same as the Godin 1,500 my 2 dislikes ,  lows were not as defined and the neck was a little blocky.  I give it an A -

Takamine ...what were did this thing come from ? O'l well ok ... Neck felt fair sounded like a cinder block with strings  Total .... F !

Epiphone master built ... Yes the one I own Bias I hope not don't think I have had long enough but you might disagree.  This guitar easily holds it own against the above  A scoring guitars why .. don't ask me just play one. . The DR is a little more mellow but well balanced , it's projection is slightly softer then the others , it has an awesome neck and feels fantastic, tone is great , Harmonics the same .. Great It's tone grows on you like a mothers smile ok ok not a smile but like moms chicken soup when your sick . there is nothing like your moms soup and you always want it the DR is has the same effect .

Now I suppose I could be as happy if I had the Breedlove .. true enough but I would like to have both and see which one I go to more :)

I would like to do a more detailed shade tree over view of higher end models 3,000 to ?  for pokes and giggles
But I have to say the Epiphone truly wins the bank for your buck award and that's no joke .

And to the hype guitars .... what gives ? have the big boys had the market  share so long they forgotten to look over there shoulders? Even though Epiphone is owned by Gibson , Gibson must be still thinking there just a tax write off or they know and are just milking the hypers and braggers of the Gibson want a be's . NOT  to get into Electrics on the way out I play a gibson Les Paul the econo one solid walnut body and a SG I would not by one because of the necks to flat and wide for me and whats funny is I don't remember my 78 the paul playing anywhere as hard unless my fingers shrunk. but all that's food for another thread LOL 

most above guitars were all wood Sitka top and mohogany B&S maybe one was rosewood the higher end breedlove I'm not sure on I'll check on them and get back .

Peace :)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:31:06 PM by agradeleous »

Offline Jahva

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Acoustic guitar Talk
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 09:36:40 PM »
my 2 cents
I agree on the Taylors... for the money I'd take a Martin night and day day and night over one. Ive spent a few hours dreaming in GC acoustic room myself. I cut me teeth on Epi's so... the Masterbilt gets an A from me. The sound isn't as deep and defined as the Martins but the neck just always seems to feel right. And I find them easier to play than the over-priced Gibsons. But if someone were to give me a real Hummingbird I aint saying No!  :P I have an Epi Hummingbird it's a good work horse. Not much compared to the Masterbilt though... For your money other than buying used w/o any warranty you're in good shape imo. That pick-up system is killing me.  I WANT ONE!!!!! ??? :o ;D
Playin' the mind guerrilla Chantin' the mantra, peace on earth

JL

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 05:50:48 AM »
Any thing free is good ... The humming bird at this store was not so good I did not mention the fret board it felt like a work horse .... A black and decker clamping station one lmao. Have you tried the Dove ?
Personally for pick ups as built in the epi It's is not bad
But I believe there is a better set up a more natural sounding set up.
That might be the condenser pick ups . I'm interested in setting one up but later down the rd.

Offline Jahva

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 07:31:52 AM »
I don't recall seeing the Dove on me last trip...  don't like touching too many things I can't afford anyway. And the Gibsons are crazy over priced imo.
Epi also use to make a John Lennon signature model. Acoustic electric... not the MB pickups just a simple set-up single coil. Thinner neckline than most of their models... but it felt strange because they had it strung up with 10's. :o Felt like playing... an electric.  ??? 
Playin' the mind guerrilla Chantin' the mantra, peace on earth

JL

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 08:04:01 AM »
I use 10's a lot .... I have to say the Godin sounded better then the Gibs. And I agree that most guitars are over priced think Epi proves it and some others.  Quality wood costs are through the roof. I like to play a rainsong or 2 see how they sound to see if synthetic can stand up to the wood . But it is a fixed sound.
Back to the master built . I like to say that it has some weight to it. The others feel paper thin. I go with dense I break stuff to easily .

Offline neilmac

• Producer
    • View Profile
    • My page at Reverbnation
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 09:12:36 AM »
Hmmmm.... reminds me of a video I saw on youtube when I was looking before Xmas.....on the electric side of things so I won't post it here....it was a side by side comparison of the Gibson Les Paul Studio and Standard and an Epi model....and the Epi stood tall against them for a fraction of the cost :)

I'm with you Jahva...I don't like touching things I can't afford lol

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 09:36:47 AM »
Indestructible acoustic guitars?  :P
Best guitar I've played lately was a Seagull, not sure which model, the tone, action, and electronics were really good. The latter being something  I'd only use to perform live. Having played a few old Hummingbirds, the feel and sound of those is extreme. With prices ranging from $5-15K one expects them to play themselves lol.
     30 years ago I had the pleasure of playing one of Marty Robbins Martin 5-18 guitars, Marty gave it to Arturo Maya Sr. who's son Art Jr. brought to a picking party.
The easy action and sound was really surprising, little guitar with a BIG sound. More like playing a electric guitar.
   To this day I think that was the finest acoustic guitar I've ever played. Lately Parlor guitars really interest me, though nothing beats big bodied sound of a good dreadnought.
    Just a thought .... It's not a bad idea to hear someone else play the one your thinking of buying, if your going to perform with it. Proximity could make you think it sounds better than it does, but hey what do I know.
Constantly tweaking everything and then nothing.

Offline whitestrat73

• Tea/coffee maker
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 11:31:43 AM »
    Just a thought .... It's not a bad idea to hear someone else play the one your thinking of buying, if your going to perform with it. Proximity could make you think it sounds better than it does, but hey what do I know.

I totally agree with you, F. Preferably someone who plays pretty good.
There's a big difference between the sound from above and the sound from in front. Plus, the player is picking up all the resonances from the sound box, which will add to the experience of playing but not to the listening.
As an aside, there will also be a sound change between touching the guitar (holding tightly and/or softly) with your body/arm and not doing so, whilst you are playing! A friend of mine incorporates a lot of harmonics in his (brilliant) playing. He says the body mutes the sound enough to affect the harmonics on his Martin (the 70s one mentioned below). His arm rarely touches the soundboard, either.
I've only heard my acoustic 3 or 4 times..... :o
I'm just not interested in hearing people bash out Stairway To Heaven or House Of The Rising Sun on my work tool.  ???

I always use 10s now. Gone are the days when I'd have to buy a banjo 1st string (60s) to get the lightness I wanted. Also, the days of using 9s.
I also find that my Strat 'Tremeleo' stays pretty much in place, without going 'weird' on me after giving a bit of wobble to the notes. :) Sometimes I wiggle on it quite a lot, as in bad Jeff Beck impression...LOL
But that's all off topic!  :-[

Hey, Ags, this is a well chosen topic, mate. Nice one.

I'd like to bring a nice acoustic, with pick up, into my guitar stable, but my wallet doesn't warm to the idea too much.  :(

I have 2 friends with Martins. One from the mid 70s and another that is just a couple years old.
The 70s one I had for a couple of weeks, which was cool. It gave me a little time to get used to the difference with my old Fender F - 35 and get 'settled in' with it.
I thoroughly enjoyed it!  8)
The newer Martin I heard played by 3 people, one after the other, which was interesting.
The first, a Spanish music/guitar teacher, played some glorious classical pieces, which flowed along beautifully. Stops and sustains were all reproduced very nicely.
The second (the owner) played some very nice blues licks, which sounded nicely gutsy, stringy, full and detailed.
Ahhh, the 3rd was me, I forgot.  ::) I played some strummy things, which felt and sounded nice and comfortable, with plenty of, well, strumminess.... :-\
I was impressed by the thing expressing, so well, three completely different playing styles.

I'd love to try an Epiphone, some time soon. I played a friend's Epiphone acoustic in the mid 70s and, as far as I remember, I quite liked it.
But.........
..........the lower the price gets, the harder it is for my wallet to fight back!  ???
Anyone wanna buy a '73 Fender F - 35 (with a Fishman Bridge Transducer w/active eq), loved, used and enjoying/suffering some of  the signs of it.  :'(
Yeah, yeah, yeah!
'Plug it in turn it up and play it 'til something breaks!' - Joe Walsh

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 12:10:46 PM »
Forgot to mention: I don't like others to play MY guitar, something about how others bend the strings  >:( . I don't like to bend the strings on my acoustic. Using Ernie Ball Med Light Earthwoods 12. I prefer to slide instead .... weird eh. Bending is hard on the frets, and G string IMHO. New cheap strings is better than old expensive strings on the frets. If your heavy on bending strings a unbound neck might be a good idea. A fret job starts at $150 around here that's unbound neck , as much as 2.5X that for a bound neck.
Hello cheap beater guitars  :P for the price of a fretjob. Our Ovation only cost us $250 if I remember right lol Bound neck too so eventually it's gonna wear out.
    Depending on the type of part I'm playing minimal contact with the top is my thing. Flat picking I keep my pinky finger in contact with the top for control.
Constantly tweaking everything and then nothing.

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 11:04:09 AM »
I'm going To GC in a little bit I will get the model numbers and picks if there all still there on a side note the the to cheapest guitars in the vault are the Yamaha A series and the Epiphone all others are in the outer room but not the floor ..... both are climate control ... makes sense oh sorry talking to my self again LOL

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 10:36:30 PM »
My apologies I have made a mistake in the above as to the Godin there in fact Breedlove and not Godins Not sure what I was thinking ...now I'm thinking sticky notes  ......