Community Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 23, 2020, 08:18:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NGD - but how do I get it to work???  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Gazebo

• Engineer
    • View Profile
NGD - but how do I get it to work???
« on: December 27, 2012, 04:28:12 PM »
All

I have been given a brand new Alesis Q49 USB Keyboard and midi controller, but I cannot get Reaper or Studio One (or the Ableton Live Lite software supplied with it) to recognise it and after 5 hours of messing around have yet to get a sound from it.  Lights are on, and I have had some encoraging (but frustrating) low level noises when pressing keys occasionally, so am convinced that  it is a set up problem rather than hardware.

I am using an old laptop, but am wondering if the problem is either:

1)  I use an EMU 0202 Usb interface which doesn't support midi (didn't think this would be the problem as I thought the keyboard would deal with this itself (that is waht the manual suggests)

2) My soundcard in the laptop isnt "seeing" the keyboard.  I tried using this when the EMU 0202 didn't seem to work.

I am a midi virgin and reading the Reaper manuals, I may as well be looking at a Russian textbook for all of the sense it makes.

Any ideas would be massively appreciated.

Member of the Talkbass Mediocre Bassists Club #708.

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: NGD - but how do I get it to work???
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 04:52:18 PM »
I might be wrong but when you go to prefences in the daw it should show up . Update the drivers . Since its USB don't set it up as midi . Hey Gc helllllp . Lol

Offline whitestrat73

• Tea/coffee maker
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 05:14:43 PM »
I may as well be looking at a Russian textbook for all of the sense it makes.

But the instruction books are written for people who understand them.....LOL. :P

Not much use without translations.
It took me about 2 years to learn how to use my control keyboard, so.....
....early days.  :)

Sometimes you need to reboot the DAW for it to see the keys.

I don't know Reaper or Studio One, so I can't give help there. They are midi compatible, of course?  ::)

I don't think your keyboard should enter via your interface. It will go direct into your computer.

Other than that, can't help much......  :(

Good luck, though!. They are great toys, when you get them working.

PS
Geargirlz couldn't get the Ableton Lite to work either....  :)
Yeah, yeah, yeah!
'Plug it in turn it up and play it 'til something breaks!' - Joe Walsh

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 05:32:09 PM »
Your sound source is?
Conflict between USB Audio devices. They often wont share hubs.
Constantly tweaking everything and then nothing.

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 05:38:53 PM »
My NanoKontrol can't be on the same hub as say one of my audio interfaces (Tascam , Behringer)

Offline gc

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 06:52:20 PM »
   Can only speak to Reaper config of usb keyboard (should be similar in S1 or any other though).

The Alesis should show in Windows (you are running Winblows, no?) Device Manager as a 'Sound, Video & Game Controller.  It'll also appear in Universal Serial Bus Controllers.  Look at the USB Hub(s) & check the Power tab.  It'll show what's working there.  Too much drain on that 500mA port can cause probs.  What Frankx said about hubs holds very true. 

So...the keyboard doesn't give a rats about any other interface (besides conflicts) as it uses the usb port and not a midi connector.  It does take care of it itself.  In Reaper (and others should be similar) you have to verify in Options>Preferences>Audio>MIDI Devices that the Alesis unit is Enabled.  Mine is setup as enabled for input as well as for control. 

Then...you add a track, click on the track  level meter to bring up input & select Input: MIDI>Alesis-somethingorother>all channels.  Arm the track, click the monitor monitoring to on, select a vsti & you are good to proverbially go. 

Hope this helps a bit. 

g

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 12:50:12 AM »
I used USBDeview to tell what and where my USB devices are. External Hub devices can also hinder some devices, connect it directly to the computer. My old laptop had two USB ports on the rear, the PCIMA card I had would not work without external power, (not included) to run anything more than a wireless adapter or a jump drive. Not sure what kind of computer you got there, it's OS, all that jazz.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1004
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:55:03 AM by frankenxtein »

Offline Gazebo

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 06:34:05 AM »
OK I have done everything above, and also had some tips from the Reaper forum, and have made a little progress.

I now can SEE some input and see that something has been recorded  but I can't hear anything.  I have been messing around with all of the parameters in the options areas of both Reaper and Studio One, but can't get a noise.

I have tried rendering tracks to see if it is just that my interface isn't hearing midi, but still nothing.

I am going to have a few hours away from it again now to see if inspiration strikes as I have now reached the stage of trying the same things over and over!!

Any more tips greatly appreciated.

Offline Gazebo

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 06:35:08 AM »
PS Have tried various different VSTi's all with the same result. 

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 08:48:18 AM »
Well if your seeing a wave signal in the track and not hearing it it sounds like your audio card is fighting it ... Not sure about s1 but reaper did not
play good with my set up always had to switch settings on the audio card. Real pain in the ass Gc remembers lol . Anyway have no such issue with Reason;) so maybe check that. And also get on G+ when ya can with someone and see if'n ttm's live help can help lol.... Good luck
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:51:39 AM by agradeleous »

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 08:55:26 AM »
It would help to know the exact model of computer you have, and it's operating system.

Searching for answers (your computer model/operating system and Alesis Q49)

Your probably not the first to have a problem with it.

Offline Gazebo

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 12:23:06 PM »
Computer is an old Dell Latitude D610 running windows XP, but I think I may have found the root of the problem.

I found Leevi's  youtube video on using a USB Keyboard with Reaper and in the midi preferences for output he has the Creative Soundsoft Synth as well as the GS Wavetable which he had heard was troublesome. GS Wavetable is the only option I have except for the keyboard itself, and it doesn't work.

I set about downloading the Creative Soundsoft Synth, and managed to install it, but neither Reaper nor Studio One pick it up.

My on board sound card is a Sigmatel C, but I use an EMU 0202 for recording.

I feel there must be an easy answer to this, but I just can't see it.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Offline gc

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 12:24:04 PM »
+1 to what Frankx mentioned...more info as far as system specifics.

Attached are Reaper screenshots from my system using a ION keyboard (sorry...focus on the track #2 stuff & disregard track #1 garbage).  Same basic controller as you have.  Should work same/same.  If you are seeing a level indication on the track as you hit the keys, you are getting there.  Selecting Record Input (audio or MIDI) you'll get MIDI data recorded on the track.  Alternately, you can also select Record Output (stereo, mono, etc) & get an audio waveform.   

After that it is all about what vsti, making sure that the 'Master Send' is still checked (right click over the 'io' button for the track...if it's not checked you won't see the Master level indication).  If you see levels in & don't hear anything coming out, re-check your Audio Devices in Reaper to make sure that something didn't get switched. 

There have been times when my system doesn't recognize input & I have to disconnect/reconnect the usb cable for the keyboard.  Straightens status up.

Lastly, I'm guessing that you are monitoring thru the emu?  Should not be a problem unless you are running into power issues with the usb ports (like keyboard & soundcard sharing the same hub & asking for too much power for both). 

g

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 01:18:23 PM »
I don't know squat about Reaper , or soft synths , and have just tested S1, so I'm not a lot of help with that.
I'm assuming you have played back soft synths via the emu0202?

Just for kicks have you tried disabling onboard audio in your system bios?
Make sure the soft synth is working without the Q49 attached, then go from there.
Eliminating this and that to make things work, one can overlook something.
The old line, "go through the numbers" comes to mind, plug and play my eye.  ::)

Offline Gazebo

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 01:30:25 PM »
Thanks GC and FX,  I will try that tomorrow, but am rapidly reaching the point of just sending the thing back, after eight hours of making no progress.

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 02:35:16 PM »
do you use the midi or play mode setting on the board ?

Offline gc

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 04:00:28 PM »
Reaper's 'Preferences>MIDI Devices>MIDI Output' selections are related to 'hardware outs' for routing of MIDI data.  If you are using vsti's you don't care about the hard outs.  Leave 'em disabled (default).  Enabling input & control for the keyboard will be all you need.  Audio associated with MIDI input will be determined by vsti fx selected. 

Easy way to narrow the troubleshooting area is to enable the Reaper Virtual MIDI Keyboard via view menu, select that as the MIDI Input, arm, monitor & select vsti and hit a few notes on the virtual keyboard. 

g

Offline Gazebo

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 05:35:47 AM »
Thanks GC

Still no sounds but may be nearer finding the issue.

The Virtual Keyboard is also silent, but will record to the track so the issue is somewhere behind Reaper and probably in my system set up.

All of my Reaper preferences are as everyone has suggested they should be unless there is a check box somewhere away from the main midi settings screen.

My audio settings in Control Panel, show the GS Wavetable is my only option for playback of midi, though it is routed to EMU-0202. Don't know how I can change this, or check if its operating properly, but suspect it may be the problem.

Anyone have any further ideas, please?

Offline gc

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 02:55:08 PM »
Gaz,

How are you monitoring this stuff?  Thru the EMU?  Just curious, cuz it sounds like a routing prob.  If I get a chance I'll get my XP machine out of mothballs & see what's up with MIDI stuff in Control Panel.  Just don't remember enough about XP since I jumped ship to W7.

That MS GS Wavetable Synth sucker is bothering me for some reason.  Should be looked at as a 'virtual hardware synth' & being 'outside ' of Reaper it shouldn't come into play.  Good exercise in MIDI setup, this.  Hurts to think.

No sending this sucker back, Gaz.  Not until we get it working anyhow.  More later.

g

Offline Gazebo

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 04:16:53 PM »
It works!!!

Playing around with it this morning I decided to just go through every single option in Reaper that can affect midi.  I have found that you have to insert the new track from the Tracks menu, but as a Virtual Instrument (the menus suggest that you can insert it as a "anything goes" track and then assign the vsti, but that doesn't work.

Then to get the thing to monitor I have to go to the Tracks menu again and tick one other feature (cant remember it without it directly in front of me).  Oddly you only get the initial shot at setting up the VSTi and my set up doesn't seem to let me edit it afterwards, but I can work round that.

Happy this afternoon putting a little instrumental piece together called "Borne" - now on TTM

http://www.ttmbandroom.com/index.php?t=audio_player&song_id=1936

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 04:33:21 PM »
 8) Cool

Offline Combobob

• Producer
    • View Profile
    • Combobob.com
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 04:54:08 PM »
And I was just about to jum in with my 2 cents worth.
 :P

Good to hear you got it working. Now for the joys midi.
And spending more time trying out vsti's than actually recording... ???
Win 7, SB Audigy 2 Platinum, KX3551, Studio One 2, Soundforge8, 1975 Fender Jazz, Yamaha RBX270J Custom Fretless, Tanglewood TW170 Acoustic...

Offline gc

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 05:38:57 PM »
Cool that you got things sorted out.  What Reaper version?  As long as it works...just seems like strange behavior to me.

g

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
  • I am, it's what I do...
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 06:02:31 PM »
Nice tune, Gazebo, glad you got it figured out...
A computer once beat me at chess - but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 08:58:21 PM »
And Cut  !  Ags ... Yes.... Your Fired !  :(  ok .......  ;D :P

Offline Schprocket

• Plays lead gill for The Mighty Hellfish and is also
  • TTM Veteran
  • Does Android dream of electric sheep?
    • View Profile
    • This is my home-away-from-home
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 07:10:34 AM »
That gotcha-fix you found is standard for pretty much all DAWs that support MIDI, btw, Gaz.

A track must be specifically set up to record either:

i) a VST/Virtual Instrument/Instrument track (i.e. MIDI) or
ii) an input, i.e. whatever analog audio inputs (soundcards) your PC and OS will let the DAW 'see'.

In S1 you will be adding an Instrument track then dragging one of the VI's anywhere onto the empty track to determine the sound, IIRC...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:13:40 AM by Schprocket »
...they discovered only a small asteroid inhabited by a solitary old man who claimed repeatedly that nothing was true, though he was later discovered to be lying.