Community Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 05, 2020, 09:41:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hey Ags... I got mine  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Jahva

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
Hey Ags... I got mine
« on: November 02, 2012, 08:31:51 PM »

EJ-200
Playin' the mind guerrilla Chantin' the mantra, peace on earth

JL

Offline neilmac

• Producer
    • View Profile
    • My page at Reverbnation
Re: Hey Ags... I got mine
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 10:08:43 PM »
Very nice!

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 08:02:50 AM »
Hey there Jahva looks nice, like the inlay . Hmmm what year is it ? don't look like a new one ? yours looks sweetened .

Looking to see what type of spruce top it has but can not beside it being solid . how about the back and sides solid maple or laminate ?

The guitar has some amazing history . :)

Offline Jahva

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 08:40:31 AM »
The EJ-200 are Epi's version of the Gibson J200. The Gibson model is solid and sell for around 2500.00 used. Epi's 400.00 They are refered to as the Moustache git because of the Bridge style. I believe Oasis uses a similar model. The Gibson version was used more often by country players but I believe also Stones, Beatles etc... they can be a bit twangy.  :P
The Epi's are spruce top and Maple backs and sides Grover tuners. The pictures I took don't do it justice... the wood patterns top and back are just beautiful.
This one is a Korean made that is 10 years old. Was owned by an elderly gentleman who hardly took it out of it's case over the years. His wife said he would take it out and put it on the stand just to look at it. Was well cared for and set up so it doesn't need a guitar Doc yet. Frets are almost new condition no wear on the nut.
It's in mint condition and I made him an offer with the case of 225 and he said "come and get it". I think he had one too many gits and this one was easier to part with than one of his Martins.  :o
Won't be mistaken for the deep sound of the Gibson but it's a much finer piece of workmanship than what I've been using and it suits my needs.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 08:44:07 AM by Jahva »

JL

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 09:38:39 AM »
well lets hear it :)

Edit ;
I think and I could be wrong but from the Pics seen I believe its an Engalmann spruce top though I can't find any facts about the wood types all very vague .  Engal will have a nice open sound can't wait to hear it . :) and though it's aged some but not played much she might still have room in the top to sweeten by your playing which I think is cool :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 09:52:38 AM by agradeleous »

Offline whitestrat73

• Tea/coffee maker
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 09:46:36 AM »
Yeah, yeah, let's hear it, let's hear it.

It looks Oh so fine!

It's in mint condition and I made him an offer with the case of 225 and he said "come and get it". I think he had one too many gits and this one was easier to part with than one of his Martins.

He might also have seen that it was going to a good home, to be played!  8)
Yeah, yeah, yeah!
'Plug it in turn it up and play it 'til something breaks!' - Joe Walsh

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »
with luck mine should be in end of the month :)

Offline Jahva

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 11:36:41 AM »
So this morn I decided to piddle around and create something with these recently acquired toys...
2 minutes of noise that took too long to record but it's listenable... there may be a tune in there but not this version.  :o

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15367559/Epi%2CSquiers.mp3
Squier Bass
Squier Strat
Epi 200

JL

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 11:51:52 AM »
I like it ....... But come on ! how about just the acoustic LMAO what I can hear though does sound nice rest of the tune too !:)

Offline whitestrat73

• Tea/coffee maker
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 12:27:45 PM »
Agree with Ags, the Epi sounds nice, but I'd like to hear more of it, alone. Pretty please....   :-* :-*
Yeah, yeah, yeah!

Offline Gazebo

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 02:22:57 PM »
Nice sampler, all of the instruments came through really clean to me and the drums sounded real.  How did you do those?

The acoustic has that lovely "light touch" that you hear in the best country music, and the electric solo had a touch of the John Jennings about it (who incidentally is just about my favourite contemporary country guitarist - he plays with Mary Chapin Carpenter a lot).

Economical but effective.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UeSCHR7F00

I'm looking forward to hearing the next challenge song from you, with the added inspiration of new gear![/youtube]
Member of the Talkbass Mediocre Bassists Club #708.

Offline Jahva

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 05:19:45 PM »
HA!! Thanks for the words... and I guess... sorry gents maybe I was over thinking this morning...  just a bit.
Well just the acoustic will take a minute or two... aside from just strumming through something I'm sure I will get inspired to write something on it. 
Call me odd but to me each instrument has it's own voice so I let it speak for itself. Something new will come along and I'll identify it as the Epi or Strat. I've tried re-recording older songs with newer instruments and it never seems right.

Gazebo,
I record most drum sounds using a click track and tapping the key on a Yamaha keyboard. Most of it's just tap tap tap as the song moves along. Sometimes I'll copy and paste a snare just to get it as close to exact as possible and repeated throughout the song. Really simple. I usually add some reverb to the snare... other than that it's how the drum sounds come out of the Yamaha.
and Thanks for the kind words.

I must say it's nice having my own bass to work on something without feeling like I've got to get it done right now! I'm getting the tone close to what I want... so it was worth the few bucks.

JL

Offline Jahva

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 08:36:38 PM »
Re-visited the tune... kind of grew on me a bit. Took out the (wife says) cat wailing guitar and put in some strings and harmonics. Even got some lyrics started for it. I think it's going to be called "Freedoms gone"

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15367559/Epi%2CSquiers.mp3

JL

Offline whitestrat73

• Tea/coffee maker
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 08:22:36 AM »
Sweet sounds, Jahva...  :)

I like the way you play guitar, kind of thoughtful playing. Nice. And the strings fit well. Nice solo.
When are you gonna get a drum kit
Yeah, yeah, yeah!