Community Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 05, 2020, 08:54:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Variax  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Schprocket

• Plays lead gill for The Mighty Hellfish and is also
  • TTM Veteran
  • Does Android dream of electric sheep?
    • View Profile
    • This is my home-away-from-home
    • Youtube's channel
Variax
« on: October 19, 2012, 09:26:35 PM »
Do I need to say more?

http://line6.com/jtv-59/

...they discovered only a small asteroid inhabited by a solitary old man who claimed repeatedly that nothing was true, though he was later discovered to be lying.

Offline neilmac

• Producer
    • View Profile
    • My page at Reverbnation
Re: Variax
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 09:36:08 PM »
 :o Wow....I want I want  want :P

Offline Jahva

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 10:12:34 PM »
OM F'ing G!
I quit!
Playin' the mind guerrilla Chantin' the mantra, peace on earth

JL

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 11:08:17 PM »
I seen it . I hate that it takes a way the work .. it's like a guitar that plays loops hahaha how much again ? LMAO and are you gunna be happy with the presets ?  ;D

Offline gc

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 11:54:04 PM »
But I rather like grabbing different instruments to make those weird noises.  I like the different necks, weight, nuts, string weight & height, nuances & basic character of the different instruments.  I like warming up an instrument.  It warms me up.  I don't know about one guitar that sounds like 25, no...28 different guitars.  That's like...like... why I have all these *%^$ amp sims & assorted vst & impulse files & other...stuff. 

Cool idea.  Must be a nice instrument.  Better be for the $1200-1500 tag I see it going for.  And there's something to be said for 'if you only have one guitar...'.  But then, what's the fun of only having one guitar? ;D

Old guy/old school
g

Offline Schprocket

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 12:19:42 AM »
But when you consider that's generally half the price for a single US-anything, or equivalent to a Jap factory price these days, again for one guitar, from a price factor alone, it's tempting.

If money wasn't an object, then it's space and maintenance.

And usually a significant other to complain about all of the above unless you have a purpose built room to house it all in and plenty of money and time.

Not that I can't appreciate or agree with everything said, particularly Gordon's piece above, but from my perspective, it's th4e closest I could come to having a room-full of guitars and not need one hooked up to a PC to listen to different tones  ;D

...they discovered only a small asteroid inhabited by a solitary old man who claimed repeatedly that nothing was true, though he was later discovered to be lying.

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 02:39:58 AM »
I liked the simplicity of the early one that just had a knob lol. This one sounds nice, but my religion only lets me play up to $500 guitars  :P
Constantly tweaking everything and then nothing.

Offline whitestrat73

• Tea/coffee maker
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 05:08:18 AM »
That looks like an amazing, big boys toy.

I feel the same as gc about these....
I'm not saying I wouldn't like one.

I know that when I pick up a friends Martin, or his Gibson LP, or another friends 335, I play differently to how I play with my Strat. I don't see that happening with this guitar.

Apart from that, I haven't, yet, squeezed all the sounds possible from my Stratocaster...... 8)
Yeah, yeah, yeah!
'Plug it in turn it up and play it 'til something breaks!' - Joe Walsh

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 09:15:03 AM »
I'm just Jesus it's only a little different then me having the V-amp less a few features or any amp modeling type unit . having it in the guitar is kind of cool . I want the Roland guitar Synth :) 

Offline Schprocket

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 11:03:34 AM »

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 11:32:01 AM »
Ooooh I remember playing a Roland guitar once  :-X back in the mid 80's.
Still enjoy this one
Constantly tweaking everything and then nothing.

Offline gc

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 12:04:14 PM »
Points well taken, Schprock.  It looks like a versatile instrument that would certainly cut down on overall $$$, maintenance, storage, etc.  of having a roomful of instruments.  Not a huge leap from using various interfaces with vst's into a pc.  And, contrary to a once popular adage, since everything you have requires some form of attention, yes...you can have too many guitars.  String replacement cost alone...   

I think it's a cool idea that is really a logical step in the evolution of modern guitars in stuffing the modeling into the instrument.  A few makers have headed off in that direction.  Ag mentioned Rowland.  All interesting stuff.  Side note as I look into what's new: Fretlight Guitars  makes models that work with apps like Guitar Pro, where the guitars have led's on the fretboard indicating where to place ones fingers.  Learning tool.  Like a cat chasing a laser pointer.  But I digress.

Over the years I've been fortunate enough to hacquiredired a few instruments that I consider keepers.  And I'm fortunate in that Mrs. GC likes having a roomfulfull of instruments.  Waning ability in the areas of dexterity (manual & mental) as well as dwindling financial resources negate any new additions, no matter how cool they might be.  There are no cheap instruments.  Even $500 is a chunk to me.  Still...I'd like to take one of these Variax suckers for a test drive.  Kids & their toys...
g
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 12:28:48 PM by gc »