Community Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 01:09:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Multi-Tracking without tweaking  (Read 977 times)

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
Multi-Tracking without tweaking
« on: September 29, 2012, 10:06:26 AM »
I often think about what Scotti says , something like the more plumbing the is the easier it is to stop up the drain.

Ever thought of tracking and leaving the EQ out of it?

Now maybe it's just me and my hearing is not as good as it used to be, but there is something to be said for non eq'd raw tracks.
     There's a certain oomf , air , depth to me they sound 3d almost. Processed  sound when I do it sounds like 2 dimensional. I avoid doing as much EQ'ing as I can and the difference is noticeable.  Getting the cleanest best sound I can get when tracking is the only way to keep that airy live sound. Also working from one direction in the room, keeping the Mic Stationary throughout recording is difficult. There's a certain advantage to that you can get a live feel to your song. Not a lot of panning to get the live image.

When I mention Mic it is stereo two mics, I keep a cheap pair of dynamics set up my own sort of XY, and tend to record with the same pattern even if I use the condenser mics.

Sure this relates to tracking , but starting at the end and working my way backward has been a real learning experience.
Constantly tweaking everything and then nothing.

Offline whitestrat73

• Tea/coffee maker
  • Producer
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Tracking without tweaking
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 11:11:22 AM »
I think you are absolutely correct on that F.

Plus, the better the original recording, the less any after effects are needed.

There certainly is no way to put into a track something that is not there from the recording stage. A lot more time spent getting a good recording, which is a matter of practice more than anything else, will save you from spending hours trying to fix things later on.
There might be an argument for cleaning up unavoidable aberrations, of course. But trying to make a dull guitar recording sound brighter will be nigh on impossible.
'Rubbish in rubbish out' applies, and it's a lot easier to record well than it is to 'fix it in the mix'.

Many wonderful old recordings were made using just a crossed pair of mics, as you indicate.

I think, sometimes, we get too wrapped up in listening to the mix, rather than listening to the music/performance.

As an aside, I heard a well known (apparently) engineer being quoted as saying, don't pan the singer's mic, move the band..... LOL.
Yeah, yeah, yeah!
'Plug it in turn it up and play it 'til something breaks!' - Joe Walsh