Community Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2019, 09:21:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mic set up  (Read 4734 times)

Offline onetrackmind

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mic set up
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 07:44:56 AM »
Most all my USB powered audio gear wont run on hubs (powered hubs) you'd have to have a hub to power the 302 there is no power supply except the usb connector, you could probably run some features of the mixer with a usb power supply not included, but can't connect to external devices via usb. Seems Apple is still a very proprietary company. ::)

Theres an AC power supply http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-302USB-Xenyx-Input-Mixer/dp/B005EHILV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348832452&sr=8-1
But maybe the USB overrides this?
Yes its annoying that apple products are compatible with gear like PCs. But i might just buy this little gizmo. and if i cant power her up then ill send it back.

The samsung mic go and the Blue Snowball http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Microphones-Snowball-Versatile-Microphone/dp/B006DIA77E/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1348832638&sr=1-1 do work with ipad as they advertise to that extent and because of the youtube clips you posted.

cheers

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 09:49:02 AM »
More confusion  :-\

Alesis Multi Mix usb 4  has external power it's been around a while, seen it at guitar center. If your requirements are for it to work with iPad, chances are this is more compatible, ahh but then you'll have to have a outlet handy.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alesis-Multi-Mix-USB-Four-Channel-Mixer/dp/B001T9O5VG/ref=pd_cp_MI_3/279-8816739-9266316

Seems the iPad is limited to Apple gadgets , where as most laptops and desktops will work with most usb devices , that is unless you have a Macbook Air  ??? Snowballs are popular, but I see them for sale second hand a lot?
Constantly tweaking everything and then nothing.

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2012, 10:05:56 AM »
A mixer of some sort is probably better in the long run, and one with external power would have more future uses.
   Running devices off of a laptops tiny power source will take it's toll too lol.

I'm wondering when folks stating their device will work with iPad will be held accountable. >:(

Offline onetrackmind

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 10:49:03 AM »
I use a portbable hard drive with the home laptop. it has kristal and all my songs on it. but it runs off pc power through usb. therefor a fully charged laptop will go flat in under 2 hours. if i use the laptop charge then i might be lucky and get 4 hours use before it over heats and shuts down.

this is one of the reasons i like my ipad. yes its made by those nasty men Apple. Yes, its got limited storage. yes, its not as good as a pc. yes, it isnt compatible with alot of gear.
but i love it. its very portable, has a 10 hour battery life and can do alot.

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2012, 11:27:07 AM »
Our friend Ricky uses a Macbook and the built in mic sounds pretty good  :o I was surprised how good his recordings sounded  :)
 High sound pressure levels are the only thing that messes up another guys Android when he tries to record the guys and gals jamming here I've noticed. I have a cheap Jazz camera that I put a piece of tape over the mic lol to capture live stuff when I'm out , just for posterity  :-X It sounds terrible  :P

Offline Brian

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2012, 11:52:46 PM »
The subject of bit rate/depth hasn't come up here...  :-\
◄ It Is What It Is ►

Offline whitestrat73

• Tea/coffee maker
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2012, 04:38:37 AM »
Until now, that is.....  :P :P :P
Yeah, yeah, yeah!
'Plug it in turn it up and play it 'til something breaks!' - Joe Walsh

Offline onetrackmind

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2012, 05:07:06 AM »
I don't worry about bit rate. I guess I'm just a 16 bit kinda guy.

Now I someone was to post a song recorded at two different rates then I might be able to compare and see if I can detect any difference.

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2012, 11:18:59 AM »
Who bit who ?  :o :P

Offline Brian

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2012, 11:55:30 AM »
A Bear...  a bear bit my arse!
◄ It Is What It Is ►

Offline Brian

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2012, 12:04:31 PM »
Seriously though, It doesn't make much sense imo, to use a high quality mic if yer D/A converter is only capable of 16/41Khrz
◄ It Is What It Is ►

Offline onetrackmind

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2012, 12:31:41 PM »
More confusion  :-\

Alesis Multi Mix usb 4  has external power it's been around a while, seen it at guitar center. If your requirements are for it to work with iPad, chances are this is more compatible, ahh but then you'll have to have a outlet handy.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alesis-Multi-Mix-USB-Four-Channel-Mixer/dp/B001T9O5VG/ref=pd_cp_MI_3/279-8816739-9266316

Seems the iPad is limited to Apple gadgets , where as most laptops and desktops will work with most usb devices , that is unless you have a Macbook Air  ??? Snowballs are popular, but I see them for sale second hand a lot?

Offline onetrackmind

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2012, 12:33:38 PM »
Seriously though, It doesn't make much sense imo, to use a high quality mic if yer D/A converter is only capable of 16/41Khrz

A med quality mic would do me lol

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2012, 09:27:07 AM »
I like the Alesis Multi mix usb4 because it could be used with other stuff via analog outputs, the 1/4" jacks look like they are metal at least on the surface. Two low z inputs STEREO. 20 more pounds than the Behringer 302usb but more features and uses.

If you are capturing a live band having 24bit is quieter, but then whats the price of a MAudio fasttrack and then there is no external power supply (needed for use with iPad) back to the drawing board lol.

I've recorded lots of live music over the years using a simple soundblaster in a pc a cheap Radio shack Modified Magnetic Phono Preamp (added two non balanced 1/4" jacks to it lol), and a couple cheap Audio Technica Dynamic mics it was really terrible but ..... people paid me to do it.  :P Get your money up front cause the performance is usually worse than the recording and they balk at paying once hearing they perform just as bad on stage as they do in a garage.

If you have good analog connections noise is not too bad with 16bit doing the live thing. The improvement I notice with 16 vs 24 is I don't red line as much, and get more saturation.

I still have the Modified Radio Shack preamp lol

Offline Brian

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2012, 11:37:45 PM »
I'm gonna through a monkey in the wrench...  What type setup does anybody use for micing acoustic instruments. I have landed up with an SM57 pointed at the twealth fret and an old Radio Shack dynamic off to the  back of the body and up about head/ear level... When mixed/eq'd well it is the best setup so far. Would love to know what others do...
◄ It Is What It Is ►