Community Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2019, 09:14:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mic set up  (Read 4733 times)

Offline onetrackmind

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
Mic set up
« on: September 11, 2012, 06:50:17 AM »
I touched on this in the Aug ODC thread but what do folk use for vocal set up.
our old laptop had a mic in, line in and headphone sockets. line in worked fine with my (half decent) shure mic. but modern laptops only seem to have mic in and headphones sockets. it basically records a low vocal and has loads of clipping sounds which renders the exercise as useless.
do i need a gizmo that links mic to laptop?
should i go for a usb mic?

any help appreciated.

Offline HarmonicEarth

• Producer
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
Re: Mic set up
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 07:33:39 AM »
I would think that for any serious recording, you would need some kind of interface (ie: Fast track, Line 6, or etc..) It should probably have phantom power and some kind of mic pre-amp. You might be able to get by with a small 2 channel mixer. The important thing is to have some kind of pre-amp to boost the mic signal so you have plenty of mic frequency going into the recording instead of a bunch of line noise, which is causing your clipping.

just my opinion..others will have more to say I'm sure :)

Offline onetrackmind

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 07:47:24 AM »
I would think that for any serious recording, you would need some kind of interface (ie: Fast track, Line 6, or etc..) It should probably have phantom power and some kind of mic pre-amp. You might be able to get by with a small 2 channel mixer. The important thing is to have some kind of pre-amp to boost the mic signal so you have plenty of mic frequency going into the recording instead of a bunch of line noise, which is causing your clipping.

just my opinion..others will have more to say I'm sure :)

cheers HE. i get your point entirely. i was hoping to do it on a budget and these line 6 (etc) interfaces are a few more bob than i (tight) would have wanted to spend.
i think i might just get the irig mic (from IK Multimedia). its got the preamp and will go straight into ipad and probably pc through the USB port. and it costs less than these "interface-thingy-ma-jiggys".

Offline Jahva

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 07:50:21 AM »

I use an M-Audio interface, simple connection right into a USB port. If you're going to get one keep in mind how many lines you want to record simultaneously. Bought off of E-bay for $90.00. Simplest version.
But it allows you to run an XLR or 1/4 inch directly into the box.
Simple... low budget... but it was all i nedded for what I'm doing.

This mic is decent for acoustic recordings and you can get it as a USB or XLR. cost me $80. plus a stand.
It's the only mic I have and my recordings are nothing to rave about but it's decent enough for demo work.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 07:55:30 AM by Jahva »
Playin' the mind guerrilla Chantin' the mantra, peace on earth

JL

Offline onetrackmind

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 08:06:50 AM »
chees Jahva. good info and nice pics :D

Offline Jahva

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 09:07:06 AM »
Good topic... I'm curious to see what the Big dogs round here are using.
But they start speaking some language I just don't understand.  ???

JL

Offline DinoWodini

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 09:45:45 AM »
Al, I think you definitely need an inerface like the ones above...and...a decent microphone.  You cant play with toys in this big dog world :) :)

For mine (and a few others - Smurf for example (i think - still)), use a behringer Xenyx 802 interface.  It has more than enough for me as I only ever record one thing at a time - either vocal or guitar or keys.  I have a couple of mics i use - Sennheiser E835 Dynamic mic and Sm Pro Audio MC01 Condensor with 1" large diaphram.  Mostly use the Condensor.
I have a stock standard Creatives Soundblaster X Fi Platinum onboard sound card as i only have a PC and no laptop.

The Xenyx 802 has 4 channels - 2 with XLR/ 1/4" jacks and 2 - 1/4" jacks.  There are also various other holes to plug other 1/4" leads for such things as Aux sends and receives.  When i use Thumbjam on my iPhone for instance I just plug it straight into the mixer and then it all goes to my PC soundcard.  You could plug your iPad into this little devil as well.

SM Pro Audio MC01 Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone
I bought the Xenyx for its Phantom power capability to run the condensor mic.
Back in 2007 I paid about AU $250.00 for the condensor and the Xenyx package and I bought the Sennheiser off a buddy fo Au $100.00.

If you pay a bit more for some good equipment you will definitely reap the rewards cos it just works better, sounds better and when you get to the point where you think "Hmmm, i'd better get a new mic" then the price might be so much higher.

Just my thoughts

Offline onetrackmind

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 11:10:55 AM »
Dino, thats a nice bit of kit you got. i looked up the Xenyx and it does look good. However, I tend to send my tracks from ipad to laptop by file transfer.Thats just my method of working. Record everything on ipad and then transfer to laptop for editing/mixing.

I like the freedom of recording in lounge or dining room or bedroom. im not saying you cant do that with a laptop but its instant. no waiting for logging on. no 2 hour only battery life. plus i can pick up or put down far more easily than a pc or laptop when the babies crying ;)
All i need really is a phantom power interface for one mic imput. no bells. no whistles. but it looks like http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/IK-Multimedia-iRig-Pre-Microphone-Interface-for-iOS-Devices/INZ is about the only one.

thanks for everyones info. its good to see what folk are using. ill try and upload a photo of my equipement/studio. (it will amuse you!)

Offline gc

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 11:35:53 AM »
Al,
IK Multimedia has a lot of presence in the iOS market.  I use some of their Amplitube but am not an iOS-anything user.  But...from what I've used I feel that they are a good company that puts out a good product & stands behind it.  That said, they have a lot of interesting products for iOS users at favorible price points.  It would be nice if there was a place nearby where you could test drive their stuff to see how you like it.
I understand buget concerns.  You go with the best you can afford at the time.  USB interfaces (Line 6, Focusrite, Avid) and nice mic's are sweet.  Then again, ipad/iphone compatable stuff is flooding the market right now.   Should be some neat finds.  Should be an adventure. ;)
g

Offline onetrackmind

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 12:16:40 PM »
Al,
IK Multimedia has a lot of presence in the iOS market.  I use some of their Amplitube but am not an iOS-anything user.  But...from what I've used I feel that they are a good company that puts out a good product & stands behind it.  That said, they have a lot of interesting products for iOS users at favorible price points.  It would be nice if there was a place nearby where you could test drive their stuff to see how you like it.
I understand buget concerns.  You go with the best you can afford at the time.  USB interfaces (Line 6, Focusrite, Avid) and nice mic's are sweet.  Then again, ipad/iphone compatable stuff is flooding the market right now.   Should be some neat finds.  Should be an adventure. ;)
g

GC, do u use Amplitude on the iphone/ipad/mac? do you own any of the IK Multimedia hardware? I use the rival (Peavey) guitar interface for ipad and its really good. I love it and the music apps but im the first to admit its got its frustrations/limitations.

I think the USB interfaces you (and Dino) pointed out would do the job very well. but a bit more than id like to spend (nappies arent cheap!).

Offline gc

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 01:40:37 PM »
Al,
No, I don't use anything Apple...all pc/usb interface (Line 6 & Focusrite).  So I can't speak to the hands on aspects of IK's iOS products...only what I read.  And I read that a lot of major manufacturers are embracing the mobile device market.  So there's a lot of choices out there.  Another burst of technology to keep up with.
IK is just one company.  Like I mentioned, I like their stuff.  I like their Amplitube  Ampeg, Fender & most recent Marshall apps.  Killer.
If you spring for a good mic & interface you are probably looking at @ $200.00 USd (average mid-range price...maybe more, maybe less).  If the iRig pre works for you...it's a bargoon.   I'd give it a shot & return it if it didn't work out.
g

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 06:38:32 PM »
Al Irig has just a 1/4 in ? right
Then theres this : http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmiccast/
40 bucks each Hmmm so you need 80 or you already have the irig ? or you just want the mic ?
of to reviews LOL

Holy cow now they have this cool :

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 06:43:08 PM by agradeleous »

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 06:47:38 PM »
come on t-mobile get the Iphone  LOL

Offline rk

• TTM Veteran
  • paws for my solo...
    • View Profile
    • PANOPLY
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 11:42:46 PM »
my computer is 8 years old.  i use a pci card based audio interface that i bought off ebay for less than $100 i think.  maudio delta 66

when i eventually have to get a new computer, i will get a usb or firewire interface and use a laptop, unless i can find a reason to buy another desktop or get into video games again.

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 06:24:44 AM »
Not a big dog  :-[ just enthusiastic.

MXL 990 - Xenyx 802 - emu 0404 pci

Have a two usb interfaces which have preamps , low z , and phantom built in.

Tascam us 122 Frontier still works great usb1
Tascam us 122 L (*Right side preamp is shot) usb2, still does playback in stereo clearly.

Many of these usb mics and mixers are 16bit which is not good with peaks IMHO , but I used 16bit stuff for years. Every once in a while I see usb mics offered used for $60 us.

*No guitars plugged in without a Direct box I don't care what the box says*
Constantly tweaking everything and then nothing.

Offline onetrackmind

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 05:23:30 PM »
After extensive research I reckon this would be my best bet

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samson-METEOR-Meteor-USB-Microphone/dp/B004MF39YS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348694449&sr=8-1

I could use it in laptop or ipad. Looks a
Nice piece of kit.

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 06:29:47 PM »
Getting past all the stuff and making music, can't be wrong. The time you get a interface and a mic you could spend twice as much, mind you you could plug direct into a box, but hey if you have a nice amp, why plug in to an interface? Mic it yes  8)

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 06:52:24 PM »
After extensive research I reckon this would be my best bet

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samson-METEOR-Meteor-USB-Microphone/dp/B004MF39YS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348694449&sr=8-1

I could use it in laptop or ipad. Looks a
Nice piece of kit.

Hey that looks familiar ? I hope it works well for ya . When you gunna get it ? :) 

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 07:07:52 PM »
Maybe a little less , but might be pretty good too
[youtube]
[/youtube]

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/samson-go-mic-portable-usb-condenser-mic

Offline Jahva

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 07:26:47 PM »

Food for thought...
You can get the Yeti or the Audio Technics on ebay for under $90.00 I got mine with a boom stand and XLR used but in great condition for $90.

This one will cost you $200+

JL

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 07:39:24 PM »
[youtube]
[/youtube]

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 09:02:45 PM »
  Well I the like the all around setting but it sounded choppy when he put down .  I think the meteor had a warmer sound .
  Though with out testing any of them up front and personal it's pointless to go on .  No one will ever know the difference so long as it is better then what Al is using.
   So Al get what you want and let us hear it .  Plus the dude just said he likes it and he is sending it to his dad ... That's like sending dad socks for his birthday and he'll probably re-gift it !  :o ;D :P
   Never said he'd use one Bwahahaha ... unless I missed that part ?
K +1 on the Blue mics .......... One day I will have a Blue !  :)

Offline onetrackmind

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 09:47:23 PM »
I think that Samsung go mic looks/sounds great frankenxtein. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 04:35:56 AM »
Our mics sit in their case most of the time (MXL 990-991) funny the skinny 991 is the more sought after than the larger 990 ?

Dialed In , was recorded with a pair of Cheap Nady Starpower 1's.  :-X

Go mic's price is half of what the Meteor is.

Offline onetrackmind

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 04:43:38 AM »
Our mics sit in their case most of the time (MXL 990-991) funny the skinny 991 is the more sought after than the larger 990 ?

Are you in America Frankenxstein? Because these little devices seem a lot cheaper over there and some only seem to be available in the US.

in the UK the Go Mic is

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 06:29:15 AM »
Yes Memphis Tennessee

Ah that little Behringer 302 usb mixer might be what you need. Not everyone records with large condenser mics, they're fragile. If you already have a decent dynamic mic

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 07:06:28 AM »
Might want to note you need the Apple camera connection kit to use it with the ipad 30pin connector. Evidently the ipad has trouble powering usb devices. Good ol Apple kinda like protools doesn't get along with other devices  :'(

http://www.socialshowandtell.com/reviews/behringer/xenyx302usbmixer
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:17:56 AM by frankenxtein »

Offline onetrackmind

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2012, 07:47:39 AM »
Frankenxtein
I read that review. thanks. i have the camera connection kit and use it for my crap wii mic.
ive read elsewhere that you can use the 302 with ipad as its got ac adapter to power it (as alternative to usb driven).
usual conflicting info as per web as per usual. so not sure if it will work or not.

Offline whitestrat73

• Tea/coffee maker
  • Producer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2012, 12:10:10 PM »
I'm not sure if this is correct, but a friend of mine told me that condenser mics are great, but, if you have any background noises a good condenser will likely pick up on that.

I went for the Shure SM58 for that reason, too much latent background noise.  :(

As I said, I'm not sure about that. I'm sure some of you guys have more experience on the theme.

Good luck OTM.

I just need to make a decision because ive nearly bought about 5 mics now!

LOL..... fune ain't it....  :P :P :P
Yeah, yeah, yeah!
'Plug it in turn it up and play it 'til something breaks!' - Joe Walsh

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2012, 01:11:52 PM »
yeah they do pick up a nats fart from a.mile a way but depends u just have to deal with it a tad .... hey Al no recording in public bathrooms for reverb afects :)

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2012, 04:40:38 PM »
Which iPad do you have you have OTM ? Chances are it wont power much at all, unless they fixed it. If they did it's a secret.  :-X Maybe even the Go mic wont work with it. Got to love Apple eh?

http://modmyi.com/forums/ipad-news/739791-ios-4-2-reduces-power-output-ipad-camera-connection-kit.html

http://9to5mac.com/2010/12/03/ios-4-2-emits-less-usb-power-on-ipad-camera-connection-kit-crippled/

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2012, 04:56:58 PM »
Frankenxtein
I read that review. thanks. i have the camera connection kit and use it for my crap wii mic.
ive read elsewhere that you can use the 302 with ipad as its got ac adapter to power it (as alternative to usb driven).
usual conflicting info as per web as per usual. so not sure if it will work or not.

Most all my USB powered audio gear wont run on hubs (powered hubs) you'd have to have a hub to power the 302 there is no power supply except the usb connector, you could probably run some features of the mixer with a usb power supply not included, but can't connect to external devices via usb. Seems Apple is still a very proprietary company. ::)

Offline agradeleous

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 08:37:28 PM »
Dang frankie what a bummer and here I am thinking I want to back to apple ..... someone has to come up with an option between Apple and android that'll do what we want ! ....... I found this from blue but I have to say at this piont I am confused .... and  it hinges on what Ipad Al has hope it's the 100mlv thingy one so your original findings will work . This says but who really knows ?
http://blueblog.bluemic.com/tag/ipad/

Offline frankenxtein

• Producer
  • 4 of 5
    • View Profile
    • Frankenxtein
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2012, 10:09:47 PM »
Back in the late 80's I started messing with midi and back then Apple was, and still is expensive hardware. Closed tech. Now they sell Intel with a half eaten apple on it, and still manage to make it so messed up most users don't know why it works.

Whats a file manager? lol

Thought I wanted a Apple once, but I'm not that big of a Masochist. I like being able to plug just about anything into my pc , run different operating systems. Tablets are nice , but I'm not, a on the go kind of guy, they're hard for me to see, without glasses.

don't mean to rant lol ........... hey i'm a pc we stole windows and made it do what we wanted lol

Offline Smurf

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2012, 04:25:20 AM »
Yup Dino, I still use the old Berry 802, it has never failed me!

And rk, ya gotta love those Delta66 / OMNI boxes. The preamps in my are super clean.....
Question,