Community Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2018, 05:27:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Moving Blankets & Room Acoustics Testing  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Smurf

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
Moving Blankets & Room Acoustics Testing
« on: July 29, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »
OK, here is another Smurf Test for those who might be interested. I had most of today to play with PT MP9, and decided to do some tests with the newest moving blankets I got. They were $6 on sale from Harbor Freight, so I grabbed 4 of them.  ;D

The test was just to see how well these blankets did in taming the room. I used an MXL990 on a stand about 3 feet away from me, aimed at the neck-body joint. This was ran into the OMNI interface, then into PT. Once the level was set it was left alone. There are no effects or editing except for shorting up the "Room Noise Test" that is at the start of each 24bit .wav audio file.

I fingered picked & strummed the Seagull as I tracked each setup. You can grab the 58mb folder here.....

http://twotrackmusic.com/kaeftp/Moving%20Blanket%20Tests%207-29-12.zip

Inside you will find 5 folders. These start from NO blankets at all to a "blanket tent" that surrounds the mic from 3 sides. I took pictures of each setup, and they are included in each folder.

Wearing Headphones is recommended, but be aware that the strumming sections are way louder than the finger picking sections, so watch the volume.

Hope This Helps!!  8)

**EXTRA**

Here is a quick 17mb .avi vid to show the room I am in....

http://twotrackmusic.com/kaeftp/Moving%20Blanket%20Room%20Video%207-29-12.zip

« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 05:25:59 PM by Smurf »
Question,

Offline HarmonicEarth

• Producer
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
Re: Moving Blankets & Room Acoustics Testing
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 08:36:29 PM »
Sounds/looks interesting. I'll try to grab these this week if time permits.

thanks Smurf

Offline Smurf

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 01:24:21 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to check them out HE! You always read about tossing up blankets & such, so I figured I would do this up to show how much a few blankets can affect the sound. In the next few weeks I will be building these....talk about a cheap & easy solution to taming a room!  ;D

Hope ya enjoy them for the examples, NOT for the performance!  :P 8)
Question,

Offline Jahva

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 07:44:10 PM »
That's awesome.  8)

I have a small room used for storage in the back of the house I've been contemplating turning into a recording room. It's pretty minimal though... I just can't figure out if i should move the computer set up and all... yet would be nice to have a booth for vocals and acoustic guitars. I do like the idea of portable walls.  :D
Playin' the mind guerrilla Chantin' the mantra, peace on earth

JL

Offline Smurf

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 08:39:46 PM »
Thanks for checking it out jahva!  ;D After the PVC frames I am going to grab a 25' KVM Cable to get the system out of the room.

On the examples the hum you hear is the system., so you might want to consider this if you decided to move your studio, it definitely can not hurt to have it out of the recording area!  :P  8)

Question,

Offline Jahva

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 07:23:04 AM »
Thanks for checking it out jahva!  ;D After the PVC frames I am going to grab a 25' KVM Cable to get the system out of the room.

On the examples the hum you hear is the system., so you might want to consider this if you decided to move your studio, it definitely can not hurt to have it out of the recording area!  :P  8)

So the KVM will allow you to have your keyboard, mouse and monitor in one room and the CPU, audio monitors etc.. elsewhere?
I can see a need to have two sets (monitors,keyboards mouse) one for the recording room and one for the workstation.
At least in my case. The computer isn't a recording only dedicated station.

JL

Offline Smurf

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 01:51:31 PM »
So the KVM will allow you to have your keyboard, mouse and monitor in one room and the CPU, audio monitors etc.. elsewhere?

Yup, but there IS a caveat to it, some video cards can not drive the monitor after a certain length of cable. I had a Maxtor card that would drive any length, and I had a ATI that would not drive past 6'. I have a gForce9600 with a gig of memory now that has had no problems up to 10', so I am HOPING it will drive the 25' cable.  ;D

I can see a need to have two sets (monitors,keyboards mouse) one for the recording room and one for the workstation.

At least in my case. The computer isn't a recording only dedicated station.

To switch between 2 computer systems using 1 set of Monitor-Mouse-keyboards you will need to use a KVM Switch. To use 2 sets of KVMs with one system, I am not sure what you would need. Hopefully on of the more knowledgeable computer nerds have an answer to that!  :P  8)
Question,

Offline Jahva

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 09:49:46 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to check them out HE! You always read about tossing up blankets & such, so I figured I would do this up to show how much a few blankets can affect the sound. In the next few weeks I will be building these....talk about a cheap & easy solution to taming a room!  ;D

Hope ya enjoy them for the examples, NOT for the performance!  :P 8)

Question.... was the 1.25 PVC strong enough to support the blankets? Would you recomend maybe 2" instead? Did you have any issues of parts moving because they weren't glued together... rotating falling etc...
Thanks again Smurf I'm thinking this weekend I'm going to try this out!

JL

Offline Smurf

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »
The one I got done has no problem supporting the blankets, and since the sections fit tight for the moment there is no movement.

I think that when I get the funds to do the other 4 I am going to drill some small holes for some pins to "lock them" together, because I am sure that over time the connections WILL start to get loose.

Good Luck, and have FUN!
Question,

Offline Jahva

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 08:12:02 AM »
I think I'm going to modify and glue some parts for stability... if I get this mandolin I may have to put it off for another week or so.  :-\

JL

Offline Schprocket

• Plays lead gill for The Mighty Hellfish and is also
  • TTM Veteran
  • Does Android dream of electric sheep?
    • View Profile
    • This is my home-away-from-home
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
Whilst they may be double the price (figure-pulled-out-of-the-air) Have a look around for "line-driver" video cables, Smurf.

Wherever there's signal attenuation over a great distance and a particular cable "just has to be", someone will usually have built a line-driver version which has a booster in it (first came across these as an apprentice when we needed to extend RS232 cable length to sensibly locate a printer).

I know that these exist for HDMI because we've used them at trade shows to drive big TVs with a PC. The only (logical) caveat is that there is usually only one-way to connect that the cable will work because it has to draw power from one end.

Unfortunately, Google has let me down and I can only find professional "boxes" from the likes of a crowd called Extron.

Fortunately, eBay didn't - it's not a cable but check this out - much, much cheaper than I expected!

There will still be the V and the M part of the KVM equation to sort out but at least the video portion may be sorted :)
...they discovered only a small asteroid inhabited by a solitary old man who claimed repeatedly that nothing was true, though he was later discovered to be lying.

Offline Smurf

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 12:24:59 PM »
Thanks for the info Mr. S, I was looking at the boxes but i will check into these in a few!
Question,

Offline kcc

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 01:14:22 PM »
Smurf,

tx for posting! I d/l'd  and had a chance to listen to without blankets and full coverage.

What a difference! Are you going to try a similar test with vox? $24 of blankets and some PVC certainly beats the $250-300 foam surround you clip to the mic stand!

KC

That sounded great! Let's do it again!

Offline Smurf

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 02:23:12 PM »
Glad it helped out some kcc! Yes, it IS a lot cheaper than the screens, but at the same time are not as easy to use OR a compact...but I will keep using this setup because, hey, I'm cheap/broke! LOL

As for vocals, there is not a blanket in the world that can help my voice, so no...I don't think I will be doing something like that, sorry.

And Mr. Schprocket, I grabbed one of those style of boxes locally, and it...sucked. The video was grain city unless it was within 8 feet of the monitor, and I will need at least 12-15" to place it where I need to, so the search continues....I'll get it eventually!
Question,