Community Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2020, 11:13:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Recommend me a keyboard  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Spiral

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Spiral's music
Recommend me a keyboard
« on: March 07, 2009, 02:25:21 PM »
This is somewhat silly, but I gotta ask...

Could you please recommend me a cheap keyboard?

I would need:
- polyphony
- weighted keys (i.e. touch sensitive)
- piano sound
- old organ/synth sounds (Jon Lord and stuff, plus tacky 80s synths)
- strings sounds
- easy to record (line out or something)

I feel kind of lost here, so if someone could give me some ideas...

Offline Schprocket

• Plays lead gill for The Mighty Hellfish and is also
  • TTM Veteran
  • Does Android dream of electric sheep?
    • View Profile
    • This is my home-away-from-home
    • Youtube's channel
Recommend me a keyboard - Casio CTK-810
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 05:04:29 PM »
The Casio CTK-810 has some reasonable (to me anyway) built-in sounds, a stack of rhythm presets, 'one-finger' chords, polyphony and you can convert your favourite midi, upload it to your CTK-810, and have midi-generated backing wherever you go... or you could choose to learn to play the melody line if you wanted.

You can use it as a midi controller as far as straight out note manipulation goes but because it's a 'cheap keyboard + midi' you don't have the pitch bending and modulation wheel which you'd find on a straight midi-only keyboard (midi-only keyboards are actually just controllers - they don't generate sound in a 'standalone' mode)

The beauty of the midi is it's a USB configuration so there's no 5-pin DIN plugs or converters to be concerned about.
What's even more cool (and here comes the Native Instruments pimp again...) is that you can justify the 300Mb download of Kore Player and get some way cool sounds with that (it'll work in stand-alone mode too so you can patch your PC audio out to an amp and play the software synth using the CTK-810 - this is true for any midi friendly keyboard)

(P.S. If we moved this to "Instruments>Keyboards section" of the site, it might help others if located over there.)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 05:08:20 PM by Schprocket »
...they discovered only a small asteroid inhabited by a solitary old man who claimed repeatedly that nothing was true, though he was later discovered to be lying.

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
  • I am, it's what I do...
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
Re: Recommend me a keyboard
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 08:09:08 PM »
What S said.  Also, you might want to check out these two.  I have the Evolution MK-461C and love it, these are just lower-end versions that work really well.  No built in sound like the one S mentioned above, but great for working with sequencers and VSTi's.

http://www.dv247.com/invt/43301/

http://www.dv247.com/invt/46163/
A computer once beat me at chess - but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline Spiral

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Spiral's music
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 01:45:42 AM »
Thanks S and JOOM!

That Casio S recommended looks good, and apparently my local dealer has those available so I can go and do a little test.

I don't want midi controller only, cause that would require me to use some software on my already strained computer... :(

Thanks guys!

p.s. yeah, this could be moved to "instruments"

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 01:49:45 AM »
It would be a good choice, S has a good background with that keyboard now and could help with any questions you might come up with...
A computer once beat me at chess - but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline Schprocket

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
Moved -> Recommend me a keyboard
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 01:50:13 AM »
p.s. yeah, this could be moved to "instruments"

Done, Sir !
...they discovered only a small asteroid inhabited by a solitary old man who claimed repeatedly that nothing was true, though he was later discovered to be lying.

Offline Schprocket

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 01:51:56 AM »
Joom, don't say that !

Spiral might expect that I actually know how to play keyboards, which I don't... well ok, a little but certainly not enough to say I can play even semi-proficiently - it's worse than my guitar expertise.

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 01:52:31 AM »
Well, how did that happen.  We both moved it at the same time... ???

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 01:53:33 AM »
Joom, don't say that !

Spiral might expect that I actually know how to play keyboards, which I don't... well ok, a little but certainly not enough to say I can play even semi-proficiently - it's worse than my guitar expertise.

I think you play pretty well, Mate, and you know your way around that particular keyboard now... ;)

Offline Schprocket

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 03:08:36 AM »
Don't let that arpeggiated synth in the rough version of MBFG fool you, J-man. That's just me playing one note at a time and the synth doing all the hard stuff... :)  well, ok, I had to get the right notes but it still don't mean I can 'play'

Offline Joom

• I Am The
  • Administrator
  • TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 03:16:18 AM »
 :D ;D :D

Offline Schprocket

• TTM Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Youtube's channel
Me an' my CTK-810...
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 03:34:48 AM »
Oh yeah... that's right.

"When We Were 21" - the bluegrass version accompaniment is almost entirely the CTK-810 one-finger Casio Chords with a bluegrass rhythm recorded from the line-out (IIRC, using a mono-plug because I didn't have a stereo lead, then used a stereo effect in the Luxonix LFX1310 plug-in to pad it out a little :( ).
Even the banjo 'lead' which is a virtual instrument track of a poor-man's banjo was 'played' using the CTK-810 to get the approximate melody I wanted then tweaked in Garageband with the mouse.
The only issue I have with the 810's bluegrass accompaniment is that the rim-shot seems to 'smack me in the ear' after some time and at the time of recording, I didn't really know what EQ was enough to tone it down some...